Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,977   Online: 821

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Steaming up Lens'....??!!

Twice since I've come back to NZ from overseas I've had 2 of my Lens steam up inside, my 24-70 L and 16-35 L. The 24-70 would make sense as I did use it in the rain in Hong Kong but since its both of them... hmmm...

The other photographer shooting a show with me last night checked it and suggested it could be that the lens was freezing cold and the venue was really hot.

So do L lens steam up if the environment change is severe enough? These lens have performed flawlessly until I started storing them in my Lowerpro backpack. Maybe they're coming out too cold?
    www.detunephotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Uh-oh, that's an issue! I always thought better about hydraulic insulation on these Ls. Take measures immediately - put the lenses in a hermetically sealed plastic bag with some kind of dehydrating agent, fresh silica gel or rice dried in a hot skillet (not fried). That would take the mist out of the lens in a day or so. If it stays there for long enough, the prospects are not too bright

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    aahhh yeah its stressing me out a bit, the steam goes quite quickly, doesn't hang around long after leaving the location...!? But yeah I might try finding some silica and leaving it with that for a while...

Shooter
    35mm
    I am no expert on Canon law. It does seem to me to be a L of a situation.

I would follow the advice of Mr Kulikov.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    ok, I wonder where I can buy Silica Gel from...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Pharmacy's often throw out lots of these little packs., They're used to keep pills dry. Ask your friendly pharmacist, he/she will likely be happy to give you some.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have lenses that are steaming up on the inside with normal use, they need to go back to Canon and be checked out, this is not normal and normally means the intergrity of the lens has been comprimise, I would get a hold of your local Canon dealer and see how they may be able to help, if not them, then get a hold of Canon, in a almost sealed enviorment such as is in the modern lenses of this nature, your opening yourself up to having fungus form on the inside of the lens, which would be expensive to get repaired.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by detune
    ok, I wonder where I can buy Silica Gel from...
    Check wih camping/fishing equipment suppliers.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I find myself sort of intrigued. You do not have access to rice, a heat source and a frying pan? Ask your girlfriend for help and then try to find a nice way to repay the favor.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Dave, yeah I am worried about the mold in the lens but I'm off to NYC again in a few weeks and dont have time or can't chance having Canon look at my lens and not get them back to me in time. I need my 24-70...!!!
    Hmm rice in a hot skillet... must have some somewhere... or i might just go visit a h/w store and get some silica it'll have to do for now I guess.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin