Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,166   Online: 740

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

F5 matrix metering

I have been told that something like a wedding dress (presumably occupying say a third of the frame or something) can fool the matrix metering in the Nikon f5 - is this someone talking rubbish?

I would have thought so, especially with colour negative film.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it can. Actually I don't think it's fooled by such thing but it rather tries to set and exposure in such a way that the dress won't be burned out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't found that to be the case.... the meter is reading the color of the dress,
    so it KNOWS its white. Unless the camera isn't set up properly, in a mode that isn't using the RGB mode.

Dunno. But it would be interesting to know the full details.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt5791
    I have been told that something like a wedding dress (presumably occupying say a third of the frame or something) can fool the matrix metering in the Nikon f5 - is this someone talking rubbish?

I would have thought so, especially with colour negative film.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks.
    It's easy to verify. See the exposure reading of the matrix meter and then switch to spot and take a couple of careful meter readings and verify if the matrix was correct.

-A

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin