Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,911   Posts: 1,521,600   Online: 881

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd probably fix the ST - that's just such a nice camera, and since you can't get another new ST, I'd fix it and see how much longer it lives. If this is the first major repair for it, I'd definitely fix it. If it is a second or third, then I'd look at replacing it. I'd also look at an RX as a replacement rather than an Aria (although the Aria is a very nice camera). If you're used to the size of the ST and the RTS III, the Aria will feel small in your hands. Also, the controls are a little different, whereas the RX controls are quite similar. And, the RX has the Digital Focus Indicator, which is a lifesaver especially when focusing in dim light with large fstop lenses wide open, or for properly placing your hyperfocal to exaggerate or eliminate your depth of field (you're shooting bright daylight and have fast film in the camera, but want a blurred background anyway, even though your working fstop is F22, for example).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Tes, it IS a moral dilemma. Destroying something that could be fixed is something that is hardly to be encouraged.

I'd throw in my vote with those who advocate getting it back and selling it as a 'scrapper'. Or ask the repairer if they want it as a scrapper or for repair.

I'll second the vote for the RX, incidentally, though I wouldn't make quite such grand claims for the focus confirmation. On the other hand Frances and I had an RX/Aria outfit on loan from the UK importers (with 35/1.4, 35/2.8 PC and 100/2.8 Makro), and the Aria is certainly smaller and lighter.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ok - well, perhaps not lifesaver, but it is a very nice plus. I know it has helped me place proper focus when I've been struggling with a flat surface that lacks major detail.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for your comments so far. You have given it more thought then I expected. There are some questions that need anwsering. The cost of sending it back to me is 40 euro, which includes postage and a charge for making the estimation. It needs a new shutter and a new mirror. I don't think anyone would buy this body for 40 euro + ebay costs+ shipping. If I don't want it back the repairservice told me in writing the camera will be destroyed.
    I do know that the whole thing is a bit of a non-issue. But, as Roger said, we do throw things away to easy and I dislike doing away with stuff that was obviously beautifully made and served me well. I have never been able to bring myself to sell my Minolta stuff, even when I hardly ever use it, for the same reasons.

On the RX, I did own that model aswell. It was indeed a lovely camera, with a very quiet, well damped, shutter. However, I was lured by the brick-like-qualities of the RTSlll, so I sold the RX, which is still a sturdy and rather heavy camera. That's why I am now tempted by the Aria. The most sturdy next to the lightest.

Thanks again for your input and taking this more or less serious. I still haven't decided on my reply to the repairservice. I'll keep you posted.

Don't you just love those luxury problems

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I assume that the repair service would want you to either have it repaired or take it back. They don't want to destroy it, because then they had a lot of work disassembling and inspecting your camera, but they get nothing for it.

In Germany, the estimations are binding, and even if the actual repair costs twice as much, they may still just charge you the estimated price plus maybe 10% or so. So they need to be very thorough when they determine what's broken. Plus, you get a two year warranty on the repair.

I think it is important to have broken gear repaired and serviced because that keeps the repair shops going. Some are more expensive than others though.

Are you dealing with TRITEC?
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, tritec. They DID write me to say there were 3 options;
    1 Go through with the repair
    2 Have it send back for 40 euro
    3 Have it DESTROYED by them

THAT was what to wrote to me

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Yes, these are the usual 3 options you have with every camera repair shop that I know.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Petzi
    Yes, these are the usual 3 options you have with every camera repair shop that I know.
    When they say they'll "destroy" a camera, does that mean they will trash it? Or will it be "cannibalized" (destroyed) for parts to repair other cameras?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    They will trash the camera. In the case of Contax, I assume they have sufficient supply of new parts for repairs. No need to disassemble a used camera.

It might be a different story with a 30 year old camera, but normally, the factory endorsed repair shops will tell you they can't repair when they are out of new spare parts.

Shooter
    Large Format
    HI there,

What dilemma??? Sell it on ebay with full disclosure and have the repair shop ship it back to the new owner. It would be a total waste to have it destroyed and silly to eat double-shipping.

Just a thought.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin