Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,146   Online: 840

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Moral/financial dilemma! Help!

Last holiday my Contax ST went bust on me. Up to then it was my hiking camera and RTSlll my studio-camera. It has been send from Holland to Germany for a quote on repaircosts and the cost for repair were estimatedat a little short of 300 euro. Before going on holiday I was already contemplating swapping the ST, which I bought for 350 euro, for an Contax Aria, which is better for hiking (lighter) and available for round and about the same amount of money. Now here is my dillema. It is probably more economical the buy an Aria and not bother with repairing the ST. In that case the ST will be destroyed in Germany. It would only create extra shippingcost to have it send back unrepaired. And that's where the pain is, I feel a bit guilty about having a nice (allthough functionally challenged) camera of rather (in)famous pedegry destroyed, as it is not beyond repair. What would you do in this situation?

Jaap Jan

Shooter
    35mm
    Start playing the violin & if you don't know how maybe take lessons

Seriously - buy the Aria & let it go & have fun

Regards

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your alternatives are:

Kiss the ST goodbye, pay nothing more for it, buy an Aria.

Pay to have the ST repaired. You'll end up with, I hope, a good ST.

Pay to have the ST returned to you, put it on the shelf, do nothing with it.

Pay to have the ST returned to you, sell it as is-where is with full disclosure.

This is really a question about money, not about sentiment or morality. Decide which of the these alternatives is better for you and do it.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    How much is the shipping cost? Could you eBay the defective camera (parts/repair/collectible) and recoup the cost of shipping? If you could sell the camera to a collector or someone who is willing to spend the money on repair and get back what you spent on return shipping, that would be a win for both you and whoever bought your camera. Just an idea. Like you, I'd hate to see the camera scrapped.

- Robert
    "Photograph more, worry less"

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It's a camera, nothing more. There are millions of them. Walk away from the Contax. Buy the Aria. Spend your emotional time and energy on something worth while

just my blunt $0.02 worth of opinion

cheers

Shooter
    35mm
    I think the answer comes down to which camera will serve your needs more reliably and do the job best.

Will an Aria meet your service requirements? Small compact and simple are fine if they do the job well. Additional weight and perhaps durability are good if they help and do not do not hamper your photography.

I have no experience with either camera. If I have to make an uninformed choice and if the Contax ST had been very satisfactory in its use I would seriously consider having it repaired.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kerwin
    How much is the shipping cost?
    Should be no more than 10 - 20 Euros.

I would have the defective camera returned to me, then I would sell it on eBay. There are many people who buy defective gear to repair it or to get parts.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Petzi
    Should be no more than 10 - 20 Euros.

I would have the defective camera returned to me, then I would sell it on eBay. There are many people who buy defective gear to repair it or to get parts.

Yes, absolutely have it returned and sell on Ebay! I agree with Bob and Petzi 100%!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Your alternatives are:

Kiss the ST goodbye, pay nothing more for it, buy an Aria.

Pay to have the ST repaired. You'll end up with, I hope, a good ST.

Pay to have the ST returned to you, put it on the shelf, do nothing with it.

Pay to have the ST returned to you, sell it as is-where is with full disclosure.

This is really a question about money, not about sentiment or morality. Decide which of the these alternatives is better for you and do it.
    When deciding the fate of a piece of equipment, I go through a decision-making process that considers alternatives similar to those listed by Dan Fromm. I usually go through this decision-making process prior to submitting the equipment for repair. Also, before I receive the estimated repair cost, I have already mentally set a maximum price that I am willing to pay.

Many times I can make a decision based purely on economics. However, there have been times when sentimental value played an important role. It has been nearly impossible for me to scrap a piece of equipment that I received as a gift or as an inheritance from a loved one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by naaldvoerder
    "... I feel a bit guilty about having a... camera... destroyed, as it is not beyond repair..."
    If the cost of repair is on par with replacement cost, then I'd consider it beyond repair. But how do you know it'll be destroyed? Don't you think it'll end up as a "parts" camera... which will allow others to continue a useful life?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin