Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,712   Online: 1213

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Tilt and Shift Lens

How do you follow a guy having a Pancake lens.
    When i bought my Canon AE-1 camera from my partnes dad it was a total Camera kit, 3 lenes ETC and he told me that he had one more lens somewhere around the house, he called me yesterday and said he found it.

He said the lens was called a Tilt and Shift lens, O.K. where do we go from here with a name like that.

Thanks for any information and have a good and safe holiday.
    Mike.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    shift moves the lens up to get everything in the frame without tilting the camera, tilt actually changes the focus plane so say you tilt the lens 45 deg. the focus will be on a 45 degree angle instrad of strainght
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by papisa
    He said the lens was called a Tilt and Shift lens, O.K. where do we go from here with a name like that. Mike.
    It's a way of duplicating large format camera movements. 'Tilt' means that the lens axis can be set at an angle to the subject-camera axis, allowing a receding plane to be kept in focus (Google 'Scheimpflug Rule') and 'shift' means it can be displaced parallel to the image plane, thereby (for example) avoiding the 'falling over backwards' effect that you get when you tilt a camera upwards: as long as the camera back remains parallel to the subhect, there is no 'keystone' distortion.

TS lenses (I think Canon made them in several focal lengths) are quite rare, valuable and desirable IF you need one and know how to use it. Otherwise they are bulky, slow lenses of limited interest.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If I am not mistaken, and I may well be, I think a "tilt and shift" lens would be more commonly known as a "perspective contol" ("PC") lens.

Mainly used for architectural renderings - it enables one to vary the tilt (angle) between horizontal to vertical while maintaining optical perspective. This compensates for the "converging verticals" effect that otherwise result from a conical lens piece when it is shifted "off" of a direct horizontal (or vertical) plane.

BTW: if you are digitally inclined (I'm not, but aware...) - PS 9.0x has a PC function....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    If I am not mistaken, and I may well be, I think a "tilt and shift" lens would be more commonly known as a "perspective contol" ("PC") lens.....
    Dear George,

Canon's TS series also incorporate a tilt facility in addition to the normal shift of a PC, hence the TS name. The tilt facility is often more useful with close-ups than with architecture, which as you say is the principal application of a conventional shift lens.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Dear George,

Canon's TS series also incorporate a tilt facility in addition to the normal shift of a PC, hence the TS name. The tilt facility is often more useful with close-ups than with architecture, which as you say is the principal application of a conventional shift lens.

Cheers,

Roger
    As you say, Roger.....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    hmmm...and all this time I thought "PC" meant "politically correct." Although "perspective control" does have a certain metaphorical attraction....sorry, just an early morning musing.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I remember correctly it came in 2 focal lengths, 35 and ?85mm. A colleague of mine had a 35 for use with his Canon F1 – he photographed architects' models with it. Even then (25 years ago) it was a rare and expensive beastie – cost as much as a new Sinar probably!

He also had a kind of rigid endoscope thing that he used to photograph the models from _inside_. Now that really was exotic.

Richard

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kelham
    If I remember correctly it came in 2 focal lengths, 35 and ?85mm.
    Richard
    Dear Richard,

I half had it in mind that there were three, but those two lengths do sound likelier.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the FD mount, Canon only made one TS lens, the 35mm. In the EOS mount, they made three, 24mm, 45mm and 90mm.

Jim Bielecki

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin