Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,373   Online: 983

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    I don't think the question is trollish; just naive.
    Cheers,
    R. (www.rogerandfrances.com)
    Nonetheless many bite. As always. Tho there is no answer. Dan's remark says it all.

bertram
    A la recherche du temps perdu: www. bersac.de

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with the guy above who said it was the one that fits his camera. Minolta f1.7 MD. I've got a treasure trove of glass, but I'll always carry my fast 50 with me :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_OB
    Dear Braxus
    The best lens is one that you like and fits your artistical requirement and you still is able (afford) to use. This is really very practical answer without pretending on philosophy.

Just one example: what a point is Leica Summicron-R 2/50 to one that do NOT want details in shade and mostly use F11 with iso400 film.

So short answer is: there is not such a lens as universally the best lens. It does not exists.

www.Leica-R.com

Verry right indeed!
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Leica f2.0 50mm Summicron. But, that is what I purchased with my Leica R4S (later modified to R4SP) back in 1984. I do not use it that frequently, but I will say that it performs extremely well. I would say that it performs better than the Canon f1.4 50mm FD lens that I had previously for my older Canon F1n system.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting. The f/1.4 (and f/1.2 and faster) 50s are rarely the best 50s, actually. (Even Popular Photography's glowing review of the Canon EF 50/1.4 rated it rather mediocre at f/1.4 and f/2, although exceptional from f/2.8 down.) Typically, the f/1.4 version of a company's 50mm lens is a little inferior to its slower 50. (Canon's current 50/1.8 Mark II is a cheap plasticky lens with a plastic mount so that's one exception, although it still isn't awful.)

I currently own three 50mm Nikkors: AF 50/1.4D, AI 50/2 and Series E 50/1.8, plus a Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5, and have owned in the past a Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8 and a non-AI Nikkor-H 50/2, along with an AF 50/1.8. They are all good lenses. The 50/2 is probably the sharpest at middle apertures. (It's also one of the least popular Nikkors out there because it's a lowly f/2 lens.) The 50/1.4D is a really good lens but I tend to use it when I need the speed. If I don't need speed and I don't need AF, I tend to use the 50/2. The Series E lens is not bad - it's probably the most underrated Nikon lenses - but I don't use it much.

The 50s that I recall reading were exceptional were the Pentax 50/1.7 in K -mount and the Planar T* 50/1.7 in Yashica-Contax mount. Honestly, I've never shot with either but based on what I've learned since, they could well be among the best 50s.

Slow 50s are cheap so get one for quality, and a fast one for low light.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is a tough question for most photographers to answer as the normal lens is not generally included as a kit lens as it was years ago. Also a one brand photographer might have one normal and maybe a macro lens if any at all. I happen to love the look I get with a 50~60mm lens and shoot about 50% of my photos with one. These are the normal lenses I have and constantly use in the order I rate them.

Leica 50mm 1.4 ASPH, Leica current Summicron, Canon 50mm FD 1.2L, Leica 50mm DR Summicron, Nikon AF 50mm 1.8D, Leica Noctilux, Nikon AF 60mm micro, Nikon 55mm f2.8 AIS Micro, Nikon 50mm f1.2 AIS. The following I don't use often but are in my ranked list order. Pentax SMC 55mm 1.8 (sm), Nikon 50mm f1.4 AI, Leica 50mm collapsible Summicron, Leica 50mm f2.4 Elmar (sm). I also use an Olympus Pen Ft with 40mm lens but it's hard to compare to the others because of the small negative size, but it's very nice.

All of these lenses have their own character but the Leicas are special.

Len

Nikon F5, F4s, F ftn (x2), FE, N70, S2 rangefinder, D2X, D70
    Leica ... many M, IIIc
    Canon A1
    Pentax Spotmatic II
    Olympus Pen Ft
    Rolleflex T
    Hasselblad 501CM

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively View Post
    My opinion: the best normal lens is the normal lens that fits the camera you like to use at the time.
    The above response is the most sensible. It's what you use on your camera. Since I try to always confuse myself with too much gear; here goes:

Zeiss/Contax 50 f1.4 on my Contax RTS II.
    Canon 50 f1.4 on my Eos Elan. It also makes a fine fast portrait lens on a d*g*tal body with APS sized sensor but then it is a long lens, and I am risking being expelled from APUG!
    Cosina/Voigtlander 40 f1.4 on a Voigtlander R3A (feels normal to me).

But my favourite normal lens of all is not for 35 mm miniature format:

A Caltar II N 135 mm f5.6 for my 4x5! My most used lens on 4x5.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You know whats nice about 50's..... they are all good, and cheap. The ones I use the most are a Canon 1.2L and Nikkor 1.4.
    The Canon and the Leitz Summicron are the best wide open and the planar on my Contarex is just plain beautiful to look at!
    Cheers, Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i don't get the point of all these what's best threads, who knows? who cares? go out and use the equipment you've got, it's the 'best' for many reasons

Shooter
    35mm

Leica 50mm 1.4 ASPH M lens

My vote for todays best normal lens goes to the Leica 50mm 1.4 ASPH Summilux lens. Even if you compare the MTF graph for the new Canon 50mm 1.2 L lens, the Leica lens appears to have a bit more resolution and less distortion from center to edge.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin