Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,277   Online: 813

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rfshootist View Post
    Nonetheless many bite. As always. Tho there is no answer. Dan's remark says it all.

bertram
    Perhaps a good comment would be "What normal lens do you like best and why?"

For me, it is like beer -- the one I have is the one I like. Currently a AIS 50/1.8 for my Nikon FM2N, though I just got a Kiev 4A with a Jupiter 50/2 that seems extremely well done - surprisingly so. If only my photographic talent was so good...?
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu View Post
    Why is that the most finicky people (regarding their optics) tend to shoot 95% of the time handheld and have an affinity to Tri-X? It's nice to have confidence in your glass, so that's worth something, I suppose.
    My wife is EXTREMELY finicky about that sort of thing, prefers medium format, shoots from a tripod and either likes slide film (Kodak) or TMAX. I suppose that makes her exceptional, but I already knew that ...
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Bromo33333;373894]Perhaps a good comment would be "What normal lens do you like best and why?"

I guess that wording would have been better. I came back to this thread noticing it had replies. I passed on it a month ago. I guess my thoughts of "best" would be the sharpest lens with the best bokeh. Maybe one doesn't exist. Maybe there are many. I know there are many great 50s out there, Im just not that familiar with all of them having used mostly Canon gear. I plan on getting the EF 50 1.2L lens in the future because that I hope will be the favorite 50 I can use on my EOS gear, but its tempting to see other brands (like Leica or Zeiss since there are adapters for EOS). I guess maybe this thread was stupid to ask, but its nice to see what others think their favorite best 50 would be. And once again Dann can you please drop the attitude and hostility you give in so many of my threads? I'm still learning much of this and it would be great for a more civil reply. I should have been more specific in my first thread.

"And why do opinions matter? Most of us have too little experience with a wide range of lenses to reply much more than "I have an X and its ok" or "I've heard the Y is ok."

Hence why Im asking for others opinions and looking to see if common lenses are mentioned more then once. I guess there wasn't any that stood out. And for now I use the lowly EF 50 1.8 so Im aware there are better lenses out there- I just don't know them. Its a sharp little lens, but it needs more aperture blades to improve out of focus areas. I guess Canons slower 50s are not their best, unlike some F2 lenses replied on here. And yes this question is relevant to photography and taking great pictures because shots I've taken have been critisized because of the technical quality of the equipment which prevented me from getting a better looking shot. The 50 EF 1.8 is an example (aperture blades). In all I was seeing if there were some lenses to consider for my EOS/other outside of Canon.
    Last edited by braxus; 10-08-2006 at 11:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess there wasn't any that stood out. And for now I use the lowly EF 50 1.8 so Im aware there are better lenses out there- I just don't know them. Its a sharp little lens, but it needs more aperture blades to improve out of focus areas.
    Bokeh is a strange beast - the best Bokeh seems to me to be on a soft focus lens. I personally don't care since the picture subject is my concern, and I tend to stop down enough the out of focus points are small - this may be a cheap solution for you.

I have found it is best to figure out how to work with the limitsations of your equipment before buying a bunch of new gear. Every camera and imaging device has limitations - and figuring out how to get accpetable results within those limits is important.

Having said that it seems to me that you like working with really shallow depth of field, which makes the "bokeh" very large and visible. Simplest solution to this, if you don't want to change your style, is to stop it down a bit, or get a diffusion filter to have a bit of "soft focus" effect.

And ... who is criticizing your equipment? That seems weird, unless you are using the equipment well outside of its strengths.

I assume that your subject and composition are fine?
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes I like to use my lenses closer to wide open, especially with portraits in and out doors. The quality of the out of focus areas in the photos I've taken are not as smooth as some lenses I've seen photos of. This seems to be a characteristic of the 50 lens I use on my EOS. I could get the 50 1.4 lens which seems to be an improvement, but I'm holding out for the new L lens to see how it compares. I use the 50 more then any other lens in my system, so I for that range want to get a good one. My plan is to migrate to digital full frame down the road that compares to medium format 6x7. And use film for B&W. Then I can get rid of the rest of my equipment which if you know is numerous. I seem to get my best results with 35mm and it works the quickest as well, so Im concentrating in that area. Medium format is great, but its limiting for me in some shots and it seems to be permanently stuck on a tripod to get sharp results. And I can't get close enough with it for some face shots. And I need autofocus because I seem to be having more trouble these days to get the focus point correct on my manual focus gear. One recent shoot proved that. I've read many compliments on the quality of Leica lenses and how they give sharp results, good bokeh, contrast, and that 3D look. But they're expensive, so I'd have to be sure that is what Id want before grabbing a lens and adapter for my EOS. I've also heard others comment on how other manufacturers lenses give a similar look, so this is why I asked all this to get some others comments.

Shooter
    35mm
    There seems to be a general perception that the Nikkor (AF) 50mm f1.8 is sharper than the AF f1.4, but that its pretty much of a muchness. The one complaint is that the build quality of the f1.8 is not up to scratch as it's very plasticy (as I can attest to after my toddler drop it).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by braxus View Post
    Yes I like to use my lenses closer to wide open, especially with portraits in and out doors. The quality of the out of focus areas in the photos I've taken are not as smooth as some lenses I've seen photos of. This seems to be a characteristic of the 50 lens I use on my EOS. I could get the 50 1.4 lens which seems to be an improvement, but I'm holding out for the new L lens to see how it compares.
    If you are doing portraits, you also may want to consider a slight telephoto, such as 85mm since it will have a flattening effect making faces look much better - Canon have a nice one, if a bit expensive. Still, you could save a lot of dosh by getting a diffusion filter and seeing if you like that - or by stopping the lens down a touch - such as to f4 or something like that.

My plan is to migrate to d[#%^&%$&]l full frame down the road that compares to medium format 6x7. [...]
    You might be waiting a long, long time .... [And you might get banned for life using that D-word! :o ]
    [Oh and full frame D&*(%^&$*^%&*l is going to remain rather expensive since it uses the same sensor area and won't miniaturize]

And I need autofocus because I seem to be having more trouble these days to get the focus point correct on my manual focus gear.
    It becomes compounded when shooting wide open - and SLR focussing is very difficult compared to a wide base rangefinder - though the patch is small in those as well.

I think if you are after "good bokeh" - if you get lots of leaves in your aperture, you will be happy. I would stop it down a touch, and consider using a diffusion filter. Also consider a 85mm or so lens with a wide open capability to flatten you field for a portrait, or a mild soft focus lens for really good "bokeh" at the expense of some sharpness.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by carnun View Post
    There seems to be a general perception that the Nikkor (AF) 50mm f1.8 is sharper than the AF f1.4, but that its pretty much of a muchness. The one complaint is that the build quality of the f1.8 is not up to scratch as it's very plasticy (as I can attest to after my toddler drop it).
    I found the 50/1,8 AIS to be acceptably sharp - and have better results than using the 50/1,4 AF in the sharp category. I think the extra 1/2 stop loses you something.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyone have any comments on using Leica/ Leitz 50mm f2 R Summicron and using it on EOS with adapter? I see some with ROM contacts and wonder if that would cause a problem with the mirror on Canons? They seem to sell used cheap enough.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by carnun View Post
    Umm... It dends on the AF 50mm f/1.8 you get. The older non-AF-D AF 50mm f/1.8 does not have a plastic barrel. Optically they are all the same though.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin