Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,480   Online: 953

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

New OM2n owner. Would like some advice on lenses.

I've been looking for an OM series camera for a while now and just managed to pick up a nice OM2n and 50mm for only £40. As I will be using this camera for mainly street candid photography what lenses do you recommend in the 28mm to 35mm focal range?
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hiya Lee,
    Erm...., I think there is only 28mm or 35mm and that's it, unless you buy a zoom! Personally, I would opt for the 35 mm. You might have to be a bit 'in your face' with the 28mm. Your standard lens will do a pretty good job as well.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had the 28mm f/2.8 and loved it. Olympus lenses seem to be a bit less expensive than Nikons and Pentaxes, so I think that you should go for a pretty good one and not mess around with the others. I personally like the wideness of a 28mm, but I am sure that the 35mm lens is equally good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a 35mm f/2.0 as my standard lens, and love it. Combined with a 24mm f/2.8 and an 85mm f/2.0, it makes for a wonderfully compact and fast kit.

All Zuiko of course.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 35mm f2 is an excellent lens - albeit comparatively expensive!

Lachlan
    "A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous...got me?" Captain Beefheart

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    congratulations on the OM-2 purchase, its a cool camera.

I use the following lenses for my OM-1 and OM-4:
    28 f3.5
    35 f2.8
    50 f1.4
    50 f1.8
    135 f2.8
    70-150 F4

In your case I would snag a 28 lens either the 28 f2.8 or the f3.5 if speed is not so much an issue and get a 50 f1.4 prime lens and you are good to go.

Bill
    Last edited by Uncle Bill; 09-10-2006 at 03:38 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammer
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by leeturner
    I've been looking for an OM series camera for a while now and just managed to pick up a nice OM2n and 50mm for only £40. As I will be using this camera for mainly street candid photography what lenses do you recommend in the 28mm to 35mm focal range?
    If you can find one the Zuiko 40 mm f/2 is an excellent and legendary Olympus pancake lens. It is very sweet.
    Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by leeturner
    Go a little wider. The 24 F2.8 is an amazing lens. 28 never felt wide enough for me. They also have a 20 F4 but I nevery tried that.

For me the ideal set is:

24 F2.8
    80 F2
    100 F2.8 (I believe)
    134 F2.8

With that you can own the world. Great cameras, very light and nice. Make sure you get the camera cleaned and algined and get the foam replaced at a reputable repair shop.

Congrats from a 30-year user of an OM-1n who just also bought an OM-3 and an OM-4Ti

--Jeffrey Steinberg
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The lenses I own are the following:
    24 f2
    28 f2.8
    35 f2.8
    50 f 1.8
    100 f2.8
    135 f2.8

All lenses are good (I find the 35mm might not be as good as the others), but the 28 f2.8 lives on my OM1n and the 100 f2.8 on my OM2n -that's my street shooting combo.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Depend on your style of shooting.

For me, I use my OM2n as a street camera, so I use 35mm and 24mm most of the time. 35mm is also very good to use in the subway and some small spaces.

Go for a 35mm F2 if you can, I offen shot mine wide open at F2.8 and still find the shutter speed is too slow to hand held.

I also have a 85mm F2, a sweet lens. Love it.

Alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin