Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,234   Online: 829

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Slide Film Other Than Kodachrome?

I'd like to hear thoughts on other slide films out there other than Kodachrome. Any particular brand, speed? What do you like about that particular slide film?

The reason I have excluded Kodachrome is because of the difficulty in getting it processed. I still have a couple of rolls of Kodachrome I shot a few weeks ago sitting on my kitchen countertop. I can find a million things to do instead of the tedious act of driving to the post office, standing in line, sending the rolls out, and waiting a week to have them developed. I thought my local pro lab would develop them, but I found out they didn't. I have to rely on sending them out to Dwayne's.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    your pro lab could send them to dwaynes.. mine does.
    i like fuji velvia for its saturation and sharpness. nothing beats kodacrone though
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of us that have done this for a while have been shooting E-6 films, such at Velvia, Provia, E100-Vs and a host of others for a long time now....this is a film that can be processed in about an hour at most labs that don't try to BS you that it is hard, alternatives to Kodachorme have been around for about 3 decades + now...

Dave

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    I've just tried a couple rolls of Fuji Velvia 100. Very brilliant colors, much different than Kodachrome. I will most likely try Astia next. I want to get more of an idea what the other slide films will do. They tell me that this is closer to Kodachrome in tonality than is Velvia.

I'm kind of having a final fling with Kodachrome. I really don't think Duane's in inconvenient at all. I mail it out at the office. If I get it out on Monday, I get slides back on Saturday usually, sometimes Friday.

Of course with Velvia (and Astia) I can get same-day processing locally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of course nothing is going to look like Kodachrome, but the E-6 films provide a good selection of options. There are still a number of labs that process it, and although a bit finicky, you can process yourself with good results if you choose.

Velvia 100 is the most saturated, preferred by many landscape photographers. Astia is a lower saturated, lower contrast disigned more for skin tones and Provia is in between. I haven't tried the current Kodak offerings so I can't comment on them, but they will give good results with a slightly different look and color pallette than Fuji. Jump in and try some different ones and see what you like for the type of shooting you do.

Bob
    Last edited by Lopaka; 09-12-2006 at 07:26 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker
    Most of us that have done this for a while have been shooting E-6 films, such at Velvia, Provia, E100-Vs and a host of others for a long time now....this is a film that can be processed in about an hour at most labs that don't try to BS you that it is hard, alternatives to Kodachorme have been around for about 3 decades + now...

Dave
    I don't have much experience with slide film, I might have shot three rolls in the past 30 years! Negative film has been what I have always shot, both BW and color. I think it would be a nice idea to experiment (have fun, try something diffrent for a change) with slide film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will be in for a treat for the color. But, remember to expose to hold the highlights, not the dark areas as for negatives.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr
    I've just tried a couple rolls of Fuji Velvia 100. Very brilliant colors, much different than Kodachrome. I will most likely try Astia next. I want to get more of an idea what the other slide films will do. They tell me that this is closer to Kodachrome in tonality than is Velvia.

I'm kind of having a final fling with Kodachrome. I really don't think Duane's in inconvenient at all. I mail it out at the office. If I get it out on Monday, I get slides back on Saturday usually, sometimes Friday.

Of course with Velvia (and Astia) I can get same-day processing locally.
    I'm curious about the colors of Velvia 100. Are the colors more on the warmer side (reds, yellows) or do the blues and greens stand out more?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by naturephoto1
    You will be in for a treat for the color. But, remember to expose to hold the highlights, not the dark areas as for negatives.

Rich
    I have heard several people recommend this. If I expose for the highlights, will I lose detail in my shadows? Will there be more grain in the shadow areas?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron
    I'm curious about the colors of Velvia 100. Are the colors more on the warmer side (reds, yellows) or do the blues and greens stand out more?
    FWIW, I've been burning off the last of a box of Velvia 50 (now discontinued I think). If 100 is anything like it - it will favor the greens and blues - but does a decent job with reds and yellows.

But it isn't K-chrome. I don't know if there is anything quite like K-chrome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin