Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,967   Posts: 1,558,457   Online: 1008

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr
    50mm f1.4 MF (AI? has old style focus ring)
    35mm f2 MF (AI? has old style focus ring)
    If it has the small row of aperture numbers on the aperture ring closer to the camera than the main numbers, they are AI, or perhaps AI'd lenses. Non AI lenses can be used on an FE, but you will need to use stop down metering. AI'd means that the aperture ring has been replaced or it has been modified by a third party to allow it to sync with the camera's metering system. If it has the old style focusing ring I think it is either AI'd or not AI at all. Here is a nice link that has much more information than I can put in this post. http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/nomenclature.htm.

Shooter
    35mm
    They're definately AI'd at a minimum as they don't use stopdown metering and they have the 2nd row of aperture numbers. That said, I don't know what to look for modification-wise to determine if they were actually modified.

Chris

Shooter
    35mm

Macro, definately

I second Titrisol's suggestion for a macro lens. I got a 55mm f/3.5 for Christmas one year and only felt mildly enthusiastic....until I really started to play with it. Sharp macros can be really fun and impressive. It's also a good normal lens if you have sharp focusing eyes. Bugs, flowers, stamps, and coins will never be the same, among other things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr
    They're definately AI'd at a minimum as they don't use stopdown metering and they have the 2nd row of aperture numbers. That said, I don't know what to look for modification-wise to determine if they were actually modified.

Chris
    That's all you really need to know for your camera. If they are the older style of focusing ring they are probably AI'd. The page I referred to in my prior post has a photo of the post on the bottom that transmits maximum aperture information to the camera. This post is missing on AI'd lenses, so that should tell you for sure.

Shooter
    35mm
    As someone else suggested - a 105 f/2.5 & also consider an 85 f/2 - great lenses

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll echo the suggestion for the 105/2.5...any multicoated version AI'd, factory AI, or the late AIS (the version I had, splendid). Anyone with a classic manual-focus Nikon (or AF Nikon with an aperture coupling ring) should at least try one. I'm mainly a Canon user these days but if I ever get my old F3HP fixed I'll be picking up a 105/2.5...one of the all-time great lenses. I love FE's, I used to have a couple. One of my favorite cameras...congrats on your score!

Todd in Beerbratistan

Shooter
    35mm
    Perhaps a mirror lens? I think the 500mm F8 lenses for Nikon mount are available from third parties also.

Shooter
    35mm
    Bleh.

Go wide. A 20mm is a super fun happy nice nice lens.
    'In the interest of freedom, APUG was just a tad TOO free.'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently bought a FE-2 to use with my MF 55/3.5 macro lens. I echo the support for macros as a fun lens to play with.

I've since bought a MF 105/2.5AI and a MF 28/2.8AI, both off ebay. Both are exceptional lenses in my opinion. A joy to use and the images are great.

I'm watching for a 20mm as Tach suggested as I borrowed one of those some years back and it was great fun to experiment with.

Whatever you decide, have fun..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I wasn't aware of this, but there was apparently a 105/1.8 AIS made. That would be an excellent lens for available light portraiture. Expensive, though.

Oh, and the 24/2.8 AI will be the next lens I get. Wider than the 28, not quite as wide as the 20, and very sharp.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin