Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,783   Online: 877

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Good lens for Nikon FE

I recently picked up a nice (not too much brassing, not too many dents) FE with two semi-ratty lenses (50mm has ratty glass, but nice body, the 35mm a ratty body but nice glass). Since I already have an N80 and lenses for it, I don't need a bunch of lenses, but I'd like a recommendation for a good lens to add to my collection.

Currently, I have the following:
    50mm f1.8 AF
    24mm f2.8 AF
    70-210 f4-5.6 AF
    50mm f1.4 MF (AI? has old style focus ring)
    35mm f2 MF (AI? has old style focus ring)

What MF lens would be a good addition. The FE is mainly going to be a backup to my N80 and a "novelty" camera to use when I feel like going MF.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Chris,

The 35mm f1.4 AIS is super nice, though maybe a bit expensive. My favourite 35mm lens, other than that one, is the Nikon 35mm f2.8 shift lens. While not easy to use, it can provide some unique shots not possible with other Nikon lenses (except the 28mm shift lens).

Other than the above choices, if you want a short telephoto lens, the 105mm f2.5 AIS is highly regarded by many, very easy to find used in good condition, and fairly affordable. Other good choices are the 85mm f2.0 in AI or AIS, or the heavy and expensive 85mm f1.4.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    35mm
    Looks to me like you're pretty well covered unless you can suggest some very specific need. All of the AF lenses are fulliy functional on the FE.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an old 37-70mm Nikkor that is a great "walking around" lens.
    Louie

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't have a specific need in mind, but I would like something different than what I have. Can I be more vague?

I like the idea of the shift lens or the short zoom. I've never owned either for any platform.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr
    I don't have a specific need in mind, but I would like something different than what I have. Can I be more vague?

I like the idea of the shift lens or the short zoom. I've never owned either for any platform.

Chris
    Chris,
    The 28mm shift lens is very nice but pretty special. Do you shoot building? I have the 28 but since I started scanning my negatives Photoshop takes care of the distortion.
    For a short zoom I like the 24~120mm as a general walk around lens. The 24~85 is also nice but my all time favorite is the 28~105. It's very sharp and has the macro setting to 1:2.

Len

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Micro Nikkos 55/2.8 AIS, or the Micro Nikkor 105 AIS
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 105/2.5 is inexpensive, a classic Nikkor, excellent for portraiture, faster than anything else you have in that range and is fun, too.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would consider a 300 4.5, long but not to bulky, great for zoos, wildlife, and sports.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My favorite Nikon glass will always be the classic 50/1.4 AI. Amazing piece of equipment, that. I've never used anything else.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin