Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,526   Posts: 1,572,360   Online: 1045

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm

Using a flash unit with the Leica R4 model

Do any of you have a Leica R4 and successfully use a flash unit with it? If you do, would you please post the complete settings on both the camera and the flash that successfully get the flash to produce various light output levels? I have a Leica SF20 flash as well as two different Metz flashes and I just ordered the appropriate 351 Metz module that communicates with the R4. Meanwhile, the R4 manual states that neither the 1/100 th second, "X, and "B" settings can be set in the aperture priority and "P" modes, and I always shoot pictures in the aperture priority mode. Additionally, the R4 does not have TTL flash capability, so only an automatic setting can be established on the flash units. So, my problem is what to set the shutter ring on since the aforementioned settings are not permissable. Thanks in advance for any valuable advice you can provide!

Terry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Terry,
    You could ask Metz your questions. www.metz.de There is an English website.
    Another possiblity is to contact Leica.

Good luck
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can't use flash in Aperture priority or Programme mode on any camera, for reasons that ought to be obvious: the camera might try to set a speed that is too high, beyond the limit of flash sync.

I don't know the flash sync speed of an R4 (suspect it may be 1/100th) but you will have to set the shutter manually to that speed or slower, figure out the aperture you need and set that on both the lens and the flash. If that doesn't give you a satisfactory image, then something is wrong somewhere.

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Richard. Just set the camera on manual, the shutter knob on X and choose and aperture that matches the distance you need the flash for. You can -depending on the type of Metz flash gun- vary the output levels e.g. set film speed on camera at 125 and the filmspeed on the flash gun at 100 or 80. In this way the flash will give less output.
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin