Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,904   Posts: 1,521,230   Online: 1069

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

What 35mm camera is Paul McCartney holding?

Have a look at the Beatles photo at http://www.wolfgangsvault.com -- it's of the group arriving in San Francisco in 1966 for their final U.S. concert. (Click on it to see full-screen -- and look at the other great stuff on this site from impresario Bill Graham's collections.)

What camera do you think Paul is holding? Not a Spotmatic, I don't think, so I'd go with a Nikon F due to the shutter speed dial size and what I can see of the film advance lever. I guess Paul would have seen enough Nikon F's in the hand of myriad photographers that he'd gravitate in that direction.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd really go for a black Spotmatic SP: no hotshoe, and the angle of pentaprism look like it.

BTW, that's an awesome shot!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Looks very much like a black Pentax SV. By the way, I really miss the "Unofficial Asahi Pentax Spotmatic Home Page" that once existed - a great resource...
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    What camera do you think Paul is holding? Not a Spotmatic, I don't think, so I'd go with a Nikon F due to the shutter speed dial size and what I can see of the film advance lever.

Definitely not a Nikon – the shape of the pentaprism is wrong. Probably some sort of Pentax.

Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can't tell the camera, but maybe this will help--

Here is another view of that day.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object...N72382.DTL&o=0

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd say he used a pentax...just a guess...

Matt

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well, I guess I got stuffed on that one! I should have gone with my first instinct -- Spotmatic all the way.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Well, I guess I got stuffed on that one! I should have gone with my first instinct -- Spotmatic all the way.
    I think he owned a Nikon F as well. There was an interview in Amateur Photographer a few years ago with his brother Mike McCartney who is a photographer and was a member of the band The Scaffold.

Just after the Beatles made it big and therefore had a bit of spare money, Paul bought Mike a Nikon F as a christmas present. I'm fairly sure it said that Paul bought one for himself too.

Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Looks very much like a Pentax SV. The self timer dial under the film rewind crank gives it away. The SV was before the Spotmatic.

Shooter
    35mm
    I wonder where that camera is today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin