Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,275   Online: 779

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pentax MX. Any good?

A friend just called to ask if I would look at this camera tomorrow morning. It's being sold locally.
    I know how to judge a camera's usability but I'm unfamiliar with this model. Any Pentax MX shooters out there?

Thank You

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am a spotmatic fan myself, it is safe to say that the Pentax MX worth looking into. If I did not get my Minolta XE-7 I would have gone for the MX.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    A friend just called to ask if I would look at this camera tomorrow morning. It's being sold locally.
    I know how to judge a camera's usability but I'm unfamiliar with this model. Any Pentax MX shooters out there?

Thank You
    I own three of these gems in absolutely mint condition. The MX is my all-time favorite non-auto 35mm camera. And, as a longtime sufferer of GAS, believe me when I say I have tried and probably own all competition.
    It is solid, small, easy to use, reliable, ergonomical, intuitive, good-looking, accurate and affordable. Did I miss anything?
    I have a number of Pentax lenses for it and my Super Programs, but the added functions of the Pentax A lenses aren't used on the MX, since there is no program mode. The Pentax M lenses work just fine, too.
    Put the very nice Pentax 40mm 2.8 pancake M lens on it and you have a pocketable rig. A large pocket, mind you, but it makes a tidy outfit. Good for street shooting also.
    Ken

Shooter
    35mm

The most common problems to check for...

1) If you've got one, take along a generic, one-contact flash to make sure the hot shoe works. If it's got a PC cord, also try the PC socket.

2) The MX is prone to developing a short in the light meter contacts. This means that you can put a brand new battery in and discover a few hours or days later that the battery is dead. This can happen even with the shutter button lock locked. You can try checking for this by looking through the viewfinder and pressing down on the shutter button while it's locked; if the LEDs in the display come on anyway, it has the short. There's some info here:

http://ca.geocities.com/spirope/mxmlu.htm

Just skip down to the last two paragraphs.

3) The MX is prone to dents on the prism housing. This doesn't necessarily mean there's anything wrong with it, but it's something to look for.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thanks folks.

I didn't realize the MX was such a nice little shooter.Hopefully the camera will be in good physical/mechanical condition and I'll be sure to test the electronics.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Mike
    I have the little Pentax too, it was my first SLR. I don't use it as much these days but it is a fantastic little tool. Here's one I took with it.
    Kind regards,
    Nicole
    Last edited by Nicole; 07-20-2007 at 09:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started photography in 1978 with the MX. My Dad still has it, and it runs fine. I am on an LX now, but use the K and M lenses, which are outstanding in my opinion!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't trust Nicole's opinion on this. We all know ANY camera she uses produces great photographs.

Sorry Nicole, couldn't resist

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LOL Mike you tease! I'm so hopeless at quick sharp comebacks!

Trust me there are many negatives in the "bin collection". But the Pentax is a great little camera and coupled with a good lens other than the standard kits lens, it should serve you well. Back then I had no idea what to do with a camera and the photo above was shot on the straight auto mode with on-camera flash. Nothing fancy in that. The in camera metering is still spot on today and has never been serviced.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    I wouldn't trust Nicole's opinion on this. We all know ANY camera she uses produces great photographs.

Sorry Nicole, couldn't resist

Mike

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin