Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,245   Online: 798

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

My Kodachrome ISO 64 Results.

I just got my first roll of Kodachrome back from Dwayne's yesterday. I must say I am impressed with the colors! The lack of any visible grain was a new experience for me! Even the shadow areas were clean. I was expecting high contrast shots, especially because most of the images I shot were taken during strong mid day sun. To my surprise the contrast was even and shadows held detail very well. The skin colors were right on the money as well. They were just a tad on the warm side, but not that noticable. Overall I am impressed with Kodachrome and can't wait to go out and shoot several more rolls before it is removed from the market!

My only gripe (just because I have to complain about something) is that it seems that the images were placed too quickly into their mounts at Dwayne's. Some images had the emulsion side facing the opposite way in the mounts, others were upside down. I know this doesn't matter because the cardboard mounts are square, it's just me nitpicking.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    I just got my first roll of Kodachrome back from Dwayne's yesterday. I must say I am impressed with the colors! The lack of any visible grain was a new experience for me! Even the shadow areas were clean. I was expecting high contrast shots, especially because most of the images I shot were taken during strong mid day sun. To my surprise the contrast was even and shadows held detail very well. The skin colors were right on the money as well. They were just a tad on the warm side, but not that noticable. Overall I am impressed with Kodachrome and can't wait to go out and shoot several more rolls before it is removed from the market!....
    This is all well and good to post here - but perhaps you should also send an e-mail of thanks to Paul Simon?

I "snipped" your gripe - but it is a fair one to ask.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am curious? What type of cardboard mounts did they put them in? The Kodachrome mounts say Kodachrome on them and there is only one proper way to mount them in the mounts, its an industry standard so they can be loaded in slide projectors and scanners without much thought, if they were mounted wrong, I would definately get a hold of Dwaynes and let them know your not happy with the haphazard way the slides were mounted.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Now if he only would write a song about Velvia...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    I am curious? What type of cardboard mounts did they put them in? The Kodachrome mounts say Kodachrome on them and there is only one proper way to mount them in the mounts, its an industry standard so they can be loaded in slide projectors and scanners without much thought, if they were mounted wrong, I would definately get a hold of Dwaynes and let them know your not happy with the haphazard way the slides were mounted.

Dave
    Actually, they are mounted in plain white cardboard mounts that read "Color Transparency- This Side Toward Screen" in red letters. No mention of Kodachrome anywhere on the mount. I guess I am just happy that they were not ruined during developing, lost in the mail, or scratched in any way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    Actually, they are mounted in plain white cardboard mounts that read "Color Transparency- This Side Toward Screen" in red letters. No mention of Kodachrome anywhere on the mount. I guess I am just happy that they were not ruined during developing, lost in the mail, or scratched in any way.
    The few times I have used Dwaynes they have always did a good job with development, but if they are mounted backwards then they will be reversed if you scan or project them, as far of the quality of handling and service, Dwaynes is well known, but if they were mounted improperly, I would let them know...

By the way, how did you verify, they were mounted backwards? I am just curious, it is pretty easy to see if they are mounted wrong..

dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Snegron, I'm a little surprised at your news. Yesterday I got a roll of KM back from "Kodak Mailer Processing," who have the work done by Dwayne's. The slides were consistently correctly mounted.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm about to go shoot the fall colors in Michigan's Upper Peninsula this week. I think I'm just going to shoot Kodachrome 64. I have about 6 rolls in the fridge. I want to use them up. That should give me about 10 rolls to send to Dwayne’s. Though I will probably never project them, I do plan on scanning all of them. I will have to make sure their right before I scan them.

I only own one Nikon (an old EM) that I was thinking of selling, maybe I should honor Paul Simon and use this camera on a couple of rolls before I get rid of it. This will might be the last time I ever shoot Kodachrome.

James,

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never had any problems with Dwaynes, and I shoot Kodachrome almost exclusively in 35mm, at least for slide film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmailand View Post
    I'm about to go shoot the fall colors in Michigan's Upper Peninsula this week. I think I'm just going to shoot Kodachrome 64. I have about 6 rolls in the fridge. I want to use them up. That should give me about 10 rolls to send to Dwayne’s. Though I will probably never project them, I do plan on scanning all of them. I will have to make sure their right before I scan them.

I only own one Nikon (an old EM) that I was thinking of selling, maybe I should honor Paul Simon and use this camera on a couple of rolls before I get rid of it. This will might be the last time I ever shoot Kodachrome.

James,
    James,

Great minds think alike!

I was thinking about how to "use up" a couple of outdated K-64 rolls. Then I looked out the window this first day of Autumn and realized - give me two weeks and I will have a K-chrome pallate all over the place!

Not sure if I'll ever shoot it again - but I said that 15 years ago too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin