Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,152   Online: 884

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Carl Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon

Hi,

I am considering the purchase of this lens and would greatly appreciate it if anyone could give me some info about it's optical performance. Is it better or worse than the smaller f/2.8 version? How does it compare to Canon's L version?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have never used the 35mm 1.4 Distagon. I have a 35mm 2.8 and a 35mm PC Distagon. Both are fine lenses.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What are you connecting it to? I don't have that one but over time I've found that I prefer to leave my CZ lenses on my RTS -- where they are a total joy to use -- rather than futz with the aperture and difficult-to-focus screens in my Canons (Elan7, 300d and 5d). It's just too much fiddling for quick operation, so if you're shooting people or other moving subjects at anything other than wide open or in very good light you might want to stick with the Canon lens anyway.

CFn4-1 -- it's a good thing

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    It's to be used on my S2 and Aria cameras. I also use Canon Eos film cameras and lenses, hence the question.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardkaraa View Post
    It's to be used on my S2 and Aria cameras. I also use Canon Eos film cameras and lenses, hence the question.
    If we could have kept 'ours' (on a year's loan from Contax) we would have. A stunning lens.

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com, where you can learn why they lent us one).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favourite lens! Fully usable all the way up to f1.4, with phantastic results. Have a look at my gallery....if I have taken a picture with a Contax, chances are that I used the 35. It will tell you in the description. The latest entry was made with it!
    Ansgar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to have one in Rollei 35mm mount. Incredibly sharp lens, hand-holdable in very low light, easy to focus, and extremely well built. I'd love to have one in Nikon mount now. If I just had the cash...
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks. You just convinced me to let go of 800$ of hard earned cash

Shooter
    35mm
    Finally got the lens. A nice German made AE version. Now sorry but have to ask another question:

How about the 18mm f/4? I will need this lens to complete my focal length range, but the MTF charts on Contax site don't look so impressive. Any opinions about it's sharpness and contrast? Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree that the MFT charts are NOT awe inspiring. I have a 21mm Distagon and it is one of the very finest lenses I have ever owned. Extremely Highly Recommended.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin