Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,192   Online: 1104

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

How many cameras do you own?

At just bidding on and winning a used Canon EOS 1N body, I thought this would make an interesting question for others. I certainly did not really need yet another camera, but I was looking regardless. I guess I can call myself a collector as I must be buying myself my 14th camera so far. I've had other cameras too which I didn't keep long and sold such as a Nikon F70 and Contax 139. Every buy seems to be a progression from the previous ones or how I've grown in knowledge over the years. I started out with a Kodak Instamatic 126 X-15F camera. I used that for a number of years till I grew into my teens and started to learn 35mm. I bought myself a Canon T70 and then got the T90. I eventually sold both of those, but I inheritted my moms old AE-1 which I still use on occassion. For fun I got a 120 format Holga since I had no medium format camera at the time. It saved me as my AE-1 on an important shoot stopped functioning, so the Holga came to the rescue. If it weren't for the distaste of the model thinking the Holga was a toy, we would have gotten more pictures that day. I also own two Super 8mm Sound Elmo cameras. From there I finally bought a used Pentax 6x7 which I've been wanting since I was 17. I was 33 at the time I got it. Since the AE-1 was Ka-put, I decided to go autofocus and bought an Elan 7. This is probably my main camera today. I found on occassion my focus was off and the autofocus really helped there. I even have my dad's old Polaroid 100 Land camera. It still works. I'm amazed you can still get film for it. I bought a used 120 folder camera- the Franka Rolfix 6x9- for fun. I don't use it much due to its quality and the fact my lab won't print 6x9 negs. Always liking 4x5 I bought a used Graflex Speed Graphic. Its fun to use those big negs. Going to digital I bought Kodak 5 megapixel which I leave in my car for those driving shots when I need a camera, plus a Rebel XT which I recently sold due to lack of use, but I still seem to prefer shooting film. I also bought a Canon FTb-N to go back to basics and the K1000 metering style. That camera should work well with my FL bellows. And back to medium format I got the original Pentax 645 manual focus, hoping to trim some camera bag weight and more 35mm like use with its motor winder and 15 frames per roll. I not long ago bought a cell phone with a 2 megapixel camera in it. Does that even count as a real camera? Now again Im back to 35mm with a more pro camera with the EOS 1N. I really wanted the 1V, but the 1N price was right ($240 US) and I can still get the 1V in the future (if Im still using film as much as I do today). I hope this all stops soon as I'm running out of places to put all these, and not to mention my cost of insurance will skyrocket for replacement value. Is this a camera sickness I've picked up? Its hard since film cameras are so cheap these days and good deals are everywhere. One day I'll go back to digital, but for now Im sticking with film cameras. I realize this is a 35mm forum, but this would apply to any format camera that you may own. I guess part of this sickness was due to that important shoot I had were my camera quit working (it was with a beautiful girl I liked at the time), and Im making up for it today to never be in that position again. I guess I've gone overboard to say the least. To make a story short I lost the girl, but gained a dozen cameras. So let the replies flow in.
    Last edited by braxus; 10-08-2006 at 11:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The number I tell my hubby, ore the real number?
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There has been a thread going on for weeks now entitled "Confess, how many cameras do you own" do we need to do another one?

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31601

LOL

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wasn't aware there was a thread like that- as I hadn't seen it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by braxus View Post
    I wasn't aware there was a thread like that- as I hadn't seen it.
    I just edited my post to include the link to the other thread on this topic.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I see it. Replied for posterity. Well if anyone feels like adding to this thread, be my guest. A year ago I actually had 14, but have since gotten rid of and gained a few.

Shooter
    35mm
    The number of cameras should not exceed three-one main workhorse and other two stand-byes for changing over to prime or desired focal-length zooms while shooting or to accommodate weight of gear in backpack while travelling and shooting either in 35 mm or medium formats otherwise the numbers become difficult to maintiain and would become more of a fad or collectors items-jkairvar

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    There has been a thread going on for weeks now entitled "Confess, how many cameras do you own" do we need to do another one?

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31601

LOL

Dave
    I thought that was for large format camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflydream View Post
    I thought that was for large format camera.

True, its in the largeformat forum ... :P

Far as how many I own... that depends... 35mm , medium or large?

heres all the 35s ( aside from my EOS-1 ) I own (also note one of them isnt a 35mm but I guess I consider it close to the same )

As for medium format, I got a Mamiya C33 TLR, Mamiya RB67, Zeiss Nettar 515, kodak No.1 6x9 Folding Junior, a Franka Rollfix Jr 6x9, Couple box brownies, and some others.

For large format, I just got my crown graphic 4x5 for the moment.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Until now, I don't think I have ever counted them. I have several old, nonfunctional cameras that I am not counting in this list.

35mm - 3
    Medium Format - 5
    Large Format - 2
    Pinhole - 1
    Zone Plate - 1
    Digital - 2 - or 3 if you count the thing on my cell phone. I don't count it and, contrary to my employer's wishes, I won't use it

Dan Williams
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Page 1 of 22 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin