Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,386   Online: 1091

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    The 105/1.8 is a tempting lens, but I'm trying to stay budget conscious. I think I'm staying away from the AIS because they tend to be a little bit more than the AI versions but really not that much better in most cases.
    The only advantage to newer AIS lenses IMO is the coating. Newer lenses have newer coating. I have my newer manual focus AIS lenses on my old Nikon F, F2, and F3 bodies. I have an 20 year old 105mm 2.5 AIS with what appears to be some sort of fungus growing inside and it still delivers great images. I checked to see how much it would cost to get cleaned but it would be more cost effective to get a used one from KEH.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stephanie,

Take a look at the 45mm 2.8 P AIS Nikkor. It's small and compact. When I mount that lens on my FM3A it has a similar feel as a RF kit. It's an excellent lens and worth consideration.

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, AI .vs. AIS, I have noticed a few things. The most obvious to me is the longer focus throw of the AI versions at most focal lengths. It seems more precise to me for wide angle lenses, though something that you have to try in practice to tell the difference. Another difference is (my opinion) better construction of the AI versions, and not just the extra screws in the lens mounts. The AIS version of some lenses allowed a tension adjustment in the focus mechanism, something that I found out about with my 50mm f1.4; that was once loose, and now functions like new. The only exception I have made for AIS is the 105mm f2.5, after trying it against an AI version I now own the AIS. My previously mentioned 35mm shift lens pre-dates AI, and is actually a preset lens.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I started out with my nikon I had three lenses. A 24mm 50mm and a 105mm. At that time the 24mm and the 105mm was Sigma lenses which I sold of later. Now I have the 20mm f/2,8; 50mm f/1,4; 85mm f/1,4 (all AFD)and a 180mm f/2,8 AIS. The gap between the 20mm and the 50mm is to big in my oppinion and I would like a 28mm to get a more moderate WA perspective. Though the 20mm is a great lens it is to wide for many occasions and a 24mm or 28mm would be a better choice. I don't know the 24mm nikors but the focallength is a good compromise between the 20 and 28mm and should I only carry three lenses I'd choose the 24mm as my WA. On the long end I really love the 85mm but a 105mm is also a great focallength and will propably be the best bet as a tele in a threelens kit.
    Cheers
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm going three lens in this venture because I don't think I'd use longer than the 105...therefore the 24/50/105 combo is calling me. I figure that I can add longer or wider lenses as I see fit. Also, I'm eyeing that 85/1.8 AIS even though I shouldn't be.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW Take a look on Bjørn Rørslett's Homepage. There is some info on the Nikors which he rates and there is some good hints and tips.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

Cheers
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used the 105mm f2.5 AIS for a long time without ever thinking about getting or using an 85mm. In that time frame, I had tried out an 85mm f1.4, and didn't like the balance on my FE, then tried several 85mm f1.8 and f2.0 lenses. Finally, near the end of last year, I got an 85mm f2.0 AI lens. Funny thing is that currently I use that more than the 105mm f2.5 AIS. However, if I ever starting liquidating what I have in Nikon gear, the last lens I would sell (actually, probably keep it) would be that 105mm f2.5 AIS; probably the most amazing lens in the entire Nikon line.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post
    I used the 105mm f2.5 AIS for a long time without ever thinking about getting or using an 85mm.
    I'm just the opposite. I've used a Nikkor 85/2 for many years without ever getting or using a 105. I've read some bad reviews of the 85/2 but get great results with mine.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Stephanie, have you looked at the 35/1.4? If your images lean toward the wider side, you'd have a 24 for a very wide view and with the 35mm still have the f/1.4 for low light. I used 35/1.4 and 105.2.5 as a two lens set for a long time, and added a 24/2.8 for a third lens, if I carried that many.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is just a coincidence that us "Kings" think alike.....

I heartily reccommend a 24mm, 35mm, 85mm trio. Mine are all Olympus Zuikos, but I'm sure the Nikon versions are acceptable

Matt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin