Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,559   Posts: 1,573,291   Online: 953

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

An SLR user...again...

Yes, I will have a Nikon FE coming my way very shortly...but only the body and no lenses. I'm going to be looking for two in the next few weeks, both primes: a normal 50mm prime and a wider lens, possibly something 20-28mm. I'd like to stick to Nikkors and I'd like to stick to the AI versions of the lenses. The 50mm is pretty much down to the f/1.4 version...that's the lens I had before and I took most of my best photos (IMO) with that lens. That leaves me the wide...uncharted territory for me. Give me your picks for a relatively cheap and decently fast (at least 2.8) wide prime, please?
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 35mm?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Stephanie Brim,

I am still using an FE for work, along with lots of lenses. In the wide range, it seems many find the 24mm f2.8 to be an excellent choice. Compact and light weight, and much less than the f2.0 version, while in my opinion outperforming the faster lens in the corners. These 24mm f2.8 lenses are fairly numerous on the used market. I have used the 28mm f2.8 and 35mm f2.8, and just don't like the results at the corners; unless you are only going to use them at f8.0 or f11, where they are okay.

My favorite Nikon wide lens is actually a 35mm f2.8 shift lens, but those are not relatively cheap. If you ever have the cash to go for one, or find a good deal on one, it is a really outstanding lens design. Results wide open and unshifted are quite nice.

On the 50mm Nikon choices, I went through a few f1.4 versions prior to finding a nice one. I had trouble with decentering, which could have been abuse or lack of quality control. Hopefully you find a nice version. My favorite 50mm f2.0 is actually the AI long barrel version, which I also own. Anyway, hope you enjoy your FE and whichever lenses you find for it.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My first version of the 50/1.4 AI was superb. It's why I want one again. The thing was fast enough for inside work but excelled at outside shots stopped down. I'm looking forward to shooting some TMZ at 1600 this Christmas with it.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephanie,

May I suggest the 24 f2.8 its a nice wideangle lens. I have the pre AI version I use with my F, F2 and Nikkormat, I think you would be happy. I would also look into the 105 f2.5 telephoto lens as well.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the 24mm f2.8 very much, too. Another vote for it!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

The ultimate kit:

24/2.8
    50/1.4
    80/2
    105/2.5 (I just bought the 105/1.8--Didn't even know they made that)

All AIS
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The 105/1.8 is a tempting lens, but I'm trying to stay budget conscious. I think I'm staying away from the AIS because they tend to be a little bit more than the AI versions but really not that much better in most cases.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephanie, I also prefer the 24mm for it's nice wide views compared to the 28m and 35mm.

I run a Sigma 2.8 24mm lens which I find excellent, especially from a money side, I bought mine new 21 years ago. I have run it against the equivalent Nikkor and there is a just detectable difference in the contrast but it hasn't been a problem for me. The Sigma also runs 1/2 stop aperture detents, which I find very nice.

I also have the 2.8 series E 28 Nikon lens. Picked it up about 15 years ago and have tested it against the AI version and found the difference to be minimal to not noticeable. They are really cheap and good value.

I also have the series E 35 2.8 but I don't think it is great, it is my loaner lens to people.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was shooting nature with my 105 f1.8 today. It's an incredible lens! A big handful of glass, but super sharp! I use it with a PK12 extension tube for closeups.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin