Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,502   Posts: 1,571,725   Online: 963

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pentax ME Super Metering

Anyone ever had any trouble with the ME Super irising down too much when exposed to daylight?

A friend showed me a contact sheet with a bunch of stuff in shadow that looked fine but the landscape shots--in the middle of the roll--were all underexposed.

Any ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The camera is an aperture preferred automatic with manual overide.
    Is it being used in Manual or Auto?
    You can check the lens simply by looking through it & stopping it down.
    If your friend is using it manually, he sets everything by hand. So.
    The meter could be off. dirty resistor band internally
    The speeds could be off. ?
    Or it could be biological interface error.
    In any case the problem is more likely to be the body or the operator.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewmoodie View Post
    Anyone ever had any trouble with the ME Super irising down too much when exposed to daylight?

A friend showed me a contact sheet with a bunch of stuff in shadow that looked fine but the landscape shots--in the middle of the roll--were all underexposed.

Any ideas?
    In a recent thread on the Pentax MX, I took the opportunity to whinge about that model as well as the ME and ME Super. My ME (not Super, so no manual option) did exactly that, 36 exposures, usually all fine but occasionally four or five consecutive frames in the middle of the roll grossly underexposed. It was never satisfactorily sorted.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I own a Pentax Super A, which is very similar to the ME Super - I think the Super A was the top of the ME line.

I have the same problem - some shots are underexposed.

When I checked more closely, I found that in aperture priority, when closing the lens slowly from f 2 down to f 16, the shutter speed selected by the camera would initially increase accordingly, but all of a sudden would 'jump' to a value that would lead to a 2 - 3 stop underexposure.

For example, I started with f2 and 1/250, then down to f 2.8 and 1/125, then f4 and f 1/60, then f 5.6 and 1/500!

I sent the camera to a repairer, who explained that a magnetic band inside the bajonet (you can see it when you look closely) has worn out, and that this is not reparable.

I since bought a second Super A body in the hope to get one to use for spare parts, but the problem is the same.

You can still safely use the camera in manual mode, and rely on an external exposure meter (or your experience).

Alternatively, as this error seems to happen mostly at medium f stops (like 5.6), I measure in manual mode at stop f 2.8, and then adjust time and aperture accordingly.

Other than that there seems no real cure....

sorry!

Ansgar

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the only problem i have had with my me super was that the meter was ka-put after a while ( i guess the camera was like 25 years old?). i took it to my repair-guy and in a few days, it was as good as new. he said the "meter board" tends to go, or something like that. might be worth taking it to someone for a free estimate ...
    good luck!
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine has been spot on. I did have one problem a couple days ago where the meter was going sort of haywire where the light kept flickering between about 5 different shutter speeds. I gave it a second and then it was fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had similar problems with my me super. flashing shutter speed lights and exposures off. Interestingly, when the exposures were off, the speed led showed the correct(underexposed) speed. In all cases, fresh batteries and clean battery contacts solved the problem. Both of my me supers don't like batteries that are the least bit weak.

Rick.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    In a recent thread on the Pentax MX, I took the opportunity to whinge about that model as well as the ME and ME Super. Steve

Oh - and I almost forgot one of my biggest whinges about the M series - the dreadful penny-pinching cases with those terrible plastic tabs that hold the camera in instead of a proper knurled metal, threaded knob in the base.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm
    My Pentax Program + is in the shop right now, primarily for that reason (fine for some shots, underexposed for others) The metering system needed "reconditioning" according to my repair tech.

I just bought a P3n for peanuts to tide me over - hoping that it doesn't suffer the same fate, and you never can have too many bodies, right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm...I haven't used my Pentax line of equipment in years. It's been gathering dust in my parent's basement. Next time I'm up there, I'll have to check out my ME and Super Program.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin