Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,535   Online: 851

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bob01721 View Post
    I shoot negs... for all the reasons celerystalksme mentioned. I've only scanned negs, though, so I have no comparison as far as slide scanning goes.

FWIW, I've been told that there're some significant differences among 35mm scanners regarding the way they handle slides. Apparently, some are more "slide friendly" than others.
    That seems to be the case with my scanner as well. It captures all the details and is great for landscape images on slides, but the skin tones lean more to magenta tones for some reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    "... For some reason I noticed that the skin tones look great on the transparency, but when I scan them the skin tones never match..."
    Apparently, some 35mm scanners are better than others in this aspect.

I have an older Minolta Scan Elite 5400. IIRC, I was told that the newer, high-speed, low-drag version (5400 II?) is better than mine in all regards except the way it handles skin tones on slides, where it's much worse. Since I shoot negs, I wasn't paying full attention, so I may have mistaken something here, but that's the impression I was left with. If you shoot chromes, it might be worth a look-see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "... the skin tones lean more to magenta tones for some reason..."
    That's exactly what I was told about the newer Minolta scanners.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use negative films, both B&W and color, because I print.
    kunihiko kario

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i shoot some of each.
    i used to be b/w exclusive but not anymore ...

i still print color slides on b/w paper from time to time and that is fun too.
    don't limit yourself, you could be missing out on somethings you might wanna try ...

-john
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tend to use transparency for most colour work, and neg for b&w.
    I very rarely use colour neg film.
    As far as film choice goes, for colour it's mainly Velvia 50 and Provia 100, with a little bit of EIR and even less ektachrome 64 thrown in somewhere. B&w is mainly Neopan 400 and FP4+, although I'll try anything really.
    Lens caps and cable releases can become invisible at will. :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Funny you should ask! I will be doing an informal experiment this weekend with Velvia 100 in both 35 and 120! For the 120 I am debating whether to go 6x7 or 645 (depends on how much weight I want to carry around under the sun). I have never shot slide film in 120. I am hoping to take two shots per image, one with the 35 the other with 120. I will be doing a combination of people and landscape just to see how this film measures up. I am assuming 120 will deliver better results, but the idea is to see what tonal range, grain, and overall color accuracy will be.
    Use 6x7, 645 isn't that much larger than 35 mm.

Why do you think I went up to 2x3? Don't have to enlarge as much. Getting a good 8x10 from a KM slide is a real stretch, much less a problem from when starting from a good 2x3 tranny.

Tonal range, grain, overall color accuracy? If you nail the exposures they won't change.

Look, I rarely shoot flowers above 1:1 with 35 mm or with 2x3. What I gain from shooting 2x3 is the ability to keep the fine detail I can get only by framing tightly in 35 mm AND cram more of the bloom's setting into the frame.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I seem to use col neg more these days, although I still use a lot of tranny film. Publishers always used to want slides, but now they want digits and I find it easier to get good scans off negs and a lot of my work also benefits from the higher exposure latitude, even if the resolution is a bit lower. In medium format I am almost wholly on neg film, but I still take 35mm slides for projection (I so hate Power point). In B&W I used to use a lot of Scala, and before that Dia Direct, but they have vanished and I am pretty much neg only now.

David.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In a glorious celebration of indecisiveness, I shoot both in just about the same frequency. Although since for many years I was almost exclusively a chromista, I guess you could say I've moderated.

I use a Nikon 5000D scanner and would say it is equally respectful of both media (I do like this scanner - even if its software is poorly documented).

I mainly shoot non-humans so the skin tone situation hasn't been an issue for me and, come to think of it, I more often shoot negative film in people-situations since they are usually socially-oriented and my better half likes to see prints!

Now I have a problem. I'm adding Med Format to the arsenal - that means more choices. And a new scanner!

Of course if I finally take that darkroom class next Spring - everything changes! :o

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Only B+W transparencys for me . They are pieces of cake to scan

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin