Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,457   Posts: 1,597,366   Online: 1107

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've used slide film very little. And I have some very colorfully vibrant images. But for me it is black and white negative film. The reason, It is all I have used recently and it hasn't bitten me yet. It has treated me well. I know how to use it and am doing some nice work. Right now there is no need for me to change.
    Thank you.
    -CW

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot basically only transparencies in 35mm, medium format, and 4 x 5. I am partial to the colors I am able to record, the clarity and sharpness, grain, etc. My work is scanned and digitally printed. Love the final large prints coming off the Chromira or LightJet as does the public.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For colour work, I use print film only when I have to, i.e., for very practical reasons of higher ISO and better exposure latitiude. Otherwise I adore slide film, it's so sharp and easy to loupe through, when you look at the transparencies you know immediately what you've got. I like b&w slide film (e.g. agfa scala) as well, you can make gorgeous paper negs with that.

I am a bit annoyed that the digital workflow is causing me to have to shoot print film more often. It's just too much of a hassle to get good scans off velvia.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It's mainly slide film for me. Years ago I saw prints with decent sharpness, but since minilabs have converted to hybrid methods, they seem a bit less perfect.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bob01721 View Post
    FWIW, I've been told that there're some significant differences among 35mm scanners regarding the way they handle slides. Apparently, some are more "slide friendly" than others.
    It isn't the scanners, as much as it is the film.

I shoot primarily transparencies, although I have been known to shoot a little B&W, from time to time (just keep this a secret though). My reasons for shooting transparencies are pretty much the same as naturephoto1, for prints.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Dfan View Post
    It's mainly slide film for me. Years ago I saw prints with decent sharpness, but since minilabs have converted to hybrid methods, they seem a bit less perfect.
    I'm probably off topic, but I think you are right. I spoke with employees at a local pro lab and it turns out that they scan most of their 35mm film before it gets printed. They develop the negatives the traditional way, but I think they have done away with their chemical processing for prints. It is not noticeable on small prints like 4x6, but you can actually see the pixelation on 8x10" and 11x14" prints. I discovered this some time ago when I had 11x14 prints made from a 120 negative; it looked like a digital print!!! When I asked them why, they explained their process.

This brings me to another off topic question, does anyone know of any labs in the US (mail order or online) that still prints color enlargements from negatives using an actual enlarger instead of a scanner and printer? I really miss the quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have started with B&W and will finish. It is because I work around art photography and art do not deals with compromising, and I beleive that it is the best way to perfect one particular medium.
    Skin tones I also found the most beautiful in B&W large format when light is "correct".
    www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    I'm probably off topic, but I think you are right. I spoke with employees at a local pro lab and it turns out that they scan most of their 35mm film before it gets printed. They develop the negatives the traditional way, but I think they have done away with their chemical processing for prints. It is not noticeable on small prints like 4x6, but you can actually see the pixelation on 8x10" and 11x14" prints. I discovered this some time ago when I had 11x14 prints made from a 120 negative; it looked like a digital print!!! When I asked them why, they explained their process.

This brings me to another off topic question, does anyone know of any labs in the US (mail order or online) that still prints color enlargements from negatives using an actual enlarger instead of a scanner and printer? I really miss the quality.
    Greetings,

I use FinePrint Imaging in CO for all of my printing, and they print via both enlarger and scanner. I have them print almost all of my negatives by enlarger and the quality is amazing.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    I use slide film for virtually every thing except images that contain people, I don't like the skin tone rendering on chromes, so use print for that, but everything else, landscape, products, commercial, wildlife, etc. is chrome.
    Pretty much the same for me, except for people I use digital (Blasphemy!). Nearly all of my people pics tend to be snap shots anyway, and I tend to have such a low hit rate with people pics, that digital became more cost effective and conducive to work flow. But I pretty much use chromes (namely Velvia and Sensia) for everything else.
    "A good photo may make the landscape look beautiful, but a good laugh makes the world look beautiful." -www.CianPerez.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I just got back several Velvia rolls I shot recently (both 35mm and 120). The colors appear very similar to Kodachrome, skin tones only a tad less warm. I will be trying Sensia soon, hopefully I will get more accurate skin tones when I scan the slides.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin