Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,229   Online: 1090

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Problems with The Camera Hunter

On Oct 13 I ordered a Rollei 35 lens cap and hood and a Mamiya TLR hood from The Camera Hunter. I received an automated email confirming the order. On Oct 17 my credit card was charged the correct amount.

Since then, nothing.

I've emailed him (politely) three times with no response and phoned the number on the site repeatedly (it's never answered) leaving messages in the voicemail service each time.

The trader (David Wombacher) is a one man band, so there may be a valid reason (illness, absence) for this state of affairs. However, the situation has gone on too long now for me to ignore it.

I suppose my next step will have to be a chat with Mastercard.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ignoring emails etc. when things go wrong seems to be a habit of his (and that's putting the best possible view on things - my own opinion is somewhat more severe...) : http://www.resellerratings.com/seller8861.html & http://www.photo.net/neighbor/view-o...=Camera+Hunter

Get your CC company to do a chargeback and leave as much negative feedback around as you can.

Good luck, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the links, Bob.

Mastercard have been most helpful. They say I'll need to fill out a form but they assure me that I will receive a full refund.

Good news, but also a shame - I'd rather have had the goods than the money. <shrug>

Has anyone used Koh's Camera?
    Last edited by FrankB; 11-15-2006 at 04:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sadly, I had a similar experience with this person - the charge appeal process is fairly simple and you should get your money back quickly. They only took three days on my claim if I remember correctly.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same problem for me - and he strung me along so long that I ran out of time to leave negative feedback.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, I`ve done business with this source and everything went perfectly!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    An update -

When I started this thread and checked the links that Bob forwarded I reached the conclusion that I was not going to get anywhere with this vendor and started a dispute process with Mastercard to recover my funds. I also emailed the vendor to let him know that I was doing this.

I wasn't completely surprised to receive an email from him (my first, except for the autoconfirm of the order) that same day. It was a reply to one of my previous queries sent about ten days previously. He claims not to have received the one detailing my actions with Mastercard.

His version of events is as follows -

He is running a bit behind as he has been in a car accident and currently has a broken hand.
    There was a problem with my order; one of the items has had to be backordered from a new supplier (Note - his website showed all the items I ordered as being in stock at that time)
    He sent me a previous email informing me of this (Note - I received no such email)

Upon receiving this I sent him a very strongly-worded email demanding a refund and stating that I would proceed with my action via MasterCard if this was not immediately forthcoming. I have now received a full refund from the vendor.

Whether or not you believe the vendor's version of events is up to you, but I've recorded it here out of fairness, along with the fact that he refunded me. However, I certainly won't be dealing with him again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the review. I read this thread earlier today and just a while ago saw this vendor's name pop up on a fleabay search for some items. As appears to be the case with all e*ay peddlers, there's reams of glowing feedback. Perhaps I'm confused by his high number of transactions, but I thought it odd that there are quite a number of "Feedback Mutually Withdrawn" entries in the log. Being relatively new to prowling the hallowed halls of fleabay, maybe that parameter should be part of my vendor evaluations.

Even among the "positive" entries, there's a fair number of indications of slow shipment and ignored email.

I'm beginning to think the entire scale of feedback for the big auction site is from 98 to 100%. This guy has a 99.2, maybe any vendor below about 99.8 should be skipped over!

Caveat emptor, etc.

DaveT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dave, the entire feedback system is terribly flawed. I have a "99.1%" rating. Now, this is based on 106 transactions from unique vendors, 127 recorded transactions, and over 150 total transactions due to the seller or buyer leaving no feedback. Only one negative or neutral, and it was in an instance that the complexity of "Square Trade" failed the process. The vendor sold me an item missing the power supply board, but advertised it as working...

I have heard a number of poor comments about this vendor. There are quite a few in our area of interest that sell volumes, but are complete crooks. One, an "nsfw" did a bait and switch on me once. The process for making in right failed there too, as it was impossible to get an independent estimate of a Busch Pressman D in this entire region. He spammed all of his old customers last Christmas, and I did a mass reply declining his kind offer and reiterating how he screwed me. I received 38 replies from others on the list who had similar poor experiences, yet none of this was reflected in the fleabay ratings. As always, buyer beware...
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
    Dave, the entire feedback system is terribly flawed. I have a "99.1%" rating. Now, this is based on 106 transactions from unique vendors, 127 recorded transactions, and over 150 total transactions due to the seller or buyer leaving no feedback. Only one negative or neutral, and it was in an instance that the complexity of "Square Trade" failed the process. The vendor sold me an item missing the power supply board, but advertised it as working...

I have heard a number of poor comments about this vendor. There are quite a few in our area of interest that sell volumes, but are complete crooks. One, an "nsfw" did a bait and switch on me once. The process for making in right failed there too, as it was impossible to get an independent estimate of a Busch Pressman D in this entire region. He spammed all of his old customers last Christmas, and I did a mass reply declining his kind offer and reiterating how he screwed me. I received 38 replies from others on the list who had similar poor experiences, yet none of this was reflected in the fleabay ratings. As always, buyer beware...
    There are some non-eBay sites that allow to to read "real" feedback on some sellers.

The mutual feedback usually makes people really afraid of leaving bad comments even if the transaction was really bad. Some never leave feedback, too. Classic game theory.
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin