Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,124   Online: 1278

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I have a good friend who's 11 yr. old son has expressed an interest in photography. Traditional photography! I am going to give him my old Canon AE-1 system and help him get started. I would love some suggested reading materials that I can provide for this fine young man. Hands on will be the best learning device. Have you found an inspirational book to get someone started?
    Kodak has an old classic called "How to take Good Pictures" that is a great simple book.

But mostly, getting the kid out and having him take lots of photographs is the best way!
    B & D
    Rochester, NY
    ========================
    Quiquid Latine dictum sit altum viditur

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello
    Together with a book may I suggest this on-line camera simulator
    http://www.photonhead.com/simcam/
    very vivid examples of combinations of speed & aperture, camera shake artifacts vs out-of-focus shots, etc
    Great (not only) for beginners
    Regards
    Joao

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I suggest the first edition of "The Photographer's Handbook". A beginning photographer can spend countless hours roaming through its' pages.

Cheers

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Photography Bible by Daniel Lezano.

I recently bought this book for my 11 year old daughter. I'm very impressed with it. It covers both traditional and digital photography. Its not too heavy reading and has loads of colour pictures throughout.
    Voigtlander Bessa R2A, CV lenses: 25/4, 35/1.7, 50/2.5, 1936 Leica 9cm f4 Elmar
    Leica R7, 50/2 Summicron, 90/2.8 Elmarit, 180/3.4 Apo-Telyt-R
    I'm not going digital... It's not photography, its computing!

My Gallery

Shooter
    35mm
    Greetings Jim, i dialed up the site that BlueWind suggested, it is an excellant page for a beginner like me and even for a 11 year old to understand, it is easy to understand and read because it shows you the differences of how the camera works.
    Remember one thing Jim, it is like taking a young boy or girl fishing for the first, make it fun for them, not boring because they will lose interest right away. Good luck.
    Mike.

[for now] Arizona, U. S. A. [near future?] "Land of Enchantment"[NM]
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hey, Jim!
    As much as I love reading, I have so much more actual fun by just going out there in "the wild blue yonder" taking 'pitchers'. And I'm 48 years old!!!! Just get the boy out and about.
    [FONT=Verdana]"the real truth of a photographic image is in its ability to evoke emotion."--Bryan Peterson[/FONT]
    [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]My Muse wheels Herself about in a wheel-chair![/COLOR]

Shooter
    35mm
    Of the dozens of photography books I have aquired over the years, I find one of the best to be Ray Koken's "Better Pictures Through Good Composition". I bought my first copy directly from Mr. Koken in the late sixties for $1.00. They are now available from Swanland's Camera, 527 F Street, Eureka, CA. 95501. Tel. 707-442-4522 for $4.95 each. This little 40 or so page booklet is easily read and understood by young folks. I bought a few of these for our photography club and recently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin