Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,707   Posts: 1,482,860   Online: 968

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

smc-M 40mm f2.8 Pentax

I lucked into this lens today and I only paid $35.00 for it. Minty condition. It's begging for a lens hood.Can I use one of those off the shelf rubber no name jobs of do I need a special one to prevent vignetting?

Thanks in advance

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike: The filter size is 49mm. It wouldn't be "original equipment", but the metal clamp-on hood for the OM 50/1.8, 50/1.4 and 35/2.8 would work really well. You can get them on that auction site for $10 to $20, maybe less if you're lucky.
    Honey, I promise no more searching eBay for cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ... or the round metal screw-on for pentax 50/2.0-1.7-1.4 ...

-- MW
    Men, said the Devil, are good to their brothers: they don’t want to mend their own ways, but each others.
    -- Piet Hein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Isnt this lens a pancake lens?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would think that if you are looking for one that isn't specifically designed for this lens, you will need one that is designed for a 35mm lens - a truly generic lens shade might be designed for 50mm, and might vignette a 40mm lens.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I would think that if you are looking for one that isn't specifically designed for this lens, you will need one that is designed for a 35mm lens - a truly generic lens shade might be designed for 50mm, and might vignette a 40mm lens.

Matt
    That's why I recommended the Oly shade, part# 108-230. It is designed for two of the Oly 50s and the 35/2.8. The Zuiko 40/2 pancake was introduced later with a different hood, a screw-in (part number 108-240) as opposed to slip-on, but I'm fairly certain that 108-230 would work as well.

Since the Pentax 40 shares the same filter size, I feel fairly certain the shade I referenced would be a good choice. And it looks good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just use a 28mm screw in hood for the thing. It's a tad bit short but works OK.
    I don't think I have ever seen the PROPER hood for this lens even in the Pentax dealer catalog. Maybe I just never noticed it.
    You cannot use the clamp on Oly hood, There's not enough of the barrel protruding. If you use a filter you would be OK.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, John. I didn't know about the width of the barrel protrusion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    this lens continuously sells for more than it is worth. the performance is fairly average for a pentax prime, but if you like 40mm focal length... you could sell it and buy a K35/3.5 and lens hood, and still have money left. (not that the 35/3.5 needs a lens hood that much)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy View Post
    I lucked into this lens today and I only paid $35.00 for it. Minty condition. It's begging for a lens hood.Can I use one of those off the shelf rubber no name jobs of do I need a special one to prevent vignetting?

Thanks in advance
    As others have said, you don't need a special hood. Any 49mm threaded hood such as the Olympus for 35mm or 28mm lens will work. I have too many metal semi-wide 49mm screw thread hoods. Contact me off list if you want one almost for free.

Ed
    Lmatthew@indy.rr.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin