Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,142   Online: 1135

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alex,
    I have the 40mm f/1.4 SC Nokton that I use primarly on a Hexar and I like it a lot. It's very small and light for a f/1.4 lens and handles well. I got the single coated version because I wanted a different look than the more modern Leica lenses that I also own. I only shoot black and white and find the Nokton to be sharp with good contrast, and useable wide open. It does flare a bit sometimes, I assume because of the single coating, but only if there are strong light sources in the image.

I don't have experience with the other lenses on your list, but my understanding is that you really can't go wrong with any of them. I personally would feel limited to only have an f/2.5 lens. Even if you are mainly photographing outdoors it is nice to have more speed for those times when you really need it.
    Richard Wasserman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexz View Post
    What would be your preferences (bearing your educated experience) for a normal lens to fit R3A out of:
    - 40mm/1.4 MC Nokton (aperture goes to f/16)
    - 50mm/1.5 Nokton (aperture goes to f/16)
    - 50mm/2.5 Color Skopar (down to f/22)

I'm assesing an RF route considering either Contax G2 or Bessa choices. More or less learnt about G2, now trying to establish an opinion of Bessa merits...

Which lens for your opinion is best out of the set optically/mechanically ?
    I'm not terribly picky about fastest aperture possible, f/2.5 sounds good enough to me assuming it is working one (sharpness-wise).

Thanks, Alex
    Personally, I can't see the point of buying a Bessa R3a unless you want to use the 40 mm Nokton (since it has a viewfinder frame for this), otherwise the logical choice is an R2a with 35, 50, 75 and 90 mm frames.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Jeffrey,

Alex is talking about the new Zeiss lenses in Leica M-mount for the new Zeiss Ikon rangefinder, not the G2. They'll fit on the R3A.

Lee
    I thought that the Cosina "Voigtländer" cameras had a Leica screw-thread lens mount. I know that the screw-thread lenses can go on M-mount cameras with an adaptor, but will M-mount lenses also go on a camera set up for the screw-mount? I didn't think that was possible, but probably I am just confused.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    Personally, I can't see the point of buying a Bessa R3a unless you want to use the 40 mm Nokton (since it has a viewfinder frame for this), otherwise the logical choice is an R2a with 35, 50, 75 and 90 mm frames.
    Thanks David, this is also point to consider. I indeed made up my mind going with 50mm (either 50mm/1.5 Asph. Nokton or Zeiss ZM 50mm/2 (the one for new Zeiss Ikon)), I think I'll still prefer 50mm focal length building my 3-lens lineup (considering 28mm/50mm/90mm).
    Are the 35mm/40mm framelines the only difference between R2A and R3A ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexz View Post
    Are the 35mm/40mm framelines the only difference between R2A and R3A ?
    Essentially yes. Because of this difference, the R3a has 1x viewfinder magnification (which was what a lot of people liked about the Leica M3), while the R2a has 0.7x.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, yes I checked the spec of R2A once again on CameraQuest - indeed the viewfinder magnification (along with 40mm vs 35mm frame lines) is the only difference.
    However, I intend to build up my lens lineup with 3 (maximum 4 but so far unlikely so far) with 28mm/50mm/90mm and 1:1 finder sounds really good, so I think I would still prefer R3A..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the 40 mm Nokton is allright, but not spectacular. It is very small, well made and produces good results. In comparison with my now sold off Olympus Zuiko 50/1.4, albeit a very different design, the difference is clear. The Zuiko has a lovely sharp/unsharp look (bokeh) and is amazingly sharp at optimum apertures.

My standard lens on my Bessa R3A is the 21 mm Skopar. A fantastic bargain. Sharp, straight and extremely good at handling backlit subjects.

Check this out:
    http://timeunit.se/article/132/Settingstar

If you have the time, you can look through the pictures om my site, there are examples of both Nokton 40 and Skopar 21.

Here's a nice shot from the Nokton:
    http://timeunit.se/article/91/Thinkbox1

You can see the bokeh in that shot. That is wide open, or maybe f/2.

Finally, if you're wearing glasses, I think the R3A with the 50mm Nokton (or ZI Planar 50) is the better choice. I have some difficulties seeing the framelines with the 40 mm and my glasses.
    Be careful his bow tie is really a camera
    timeUnit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    I thought that the Cosina "Voigtländer" cameras had a Leica screw-thread lens mount. I know that the screw-thread lenses can go on M-mount cameras with an adaptor, but will M-mount lenses also go on a camera set up for the screw-mount? I didn't think that was possible, but probably I am just confused.
    Not confused really, but the R3A mentioned in the original post is an M-mount body, so it could take all M-mount lenses or LTM (Leica screw/thread mount) lenses with adapters. I know the thread has diverged a lot from the original post.

As info on the Bessa bodies:

LTM bodies: L, R

M-mount bodies: T, R2, R2A, R3A, R2M, R3M, R4A, R4M

C/V has gone to the most flexible body arrangement, the M-mount, on the new bodies since Leica forgot to renew their patent on the M-mount. Where possible, they have also stayed with the most flexible lens mount on their lenses, the LTM, except where lens design has dictated the need for the M-mount.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    Two salient points for my choice of the R3M are the 1:1 finder, which I love because I very often shoot the 75mm C/V and other longer lenses, and the longer effective rangefinder baseline.

Given my choice of current/upcoming C/V bodies, I'd take one R3M and one R4M.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks a lot guys.
    As I mentioned, I'm leaning towards R3A so far, albeit the new upcoming R4A sounds tempting as well. The bad thing is that one need to wait another 4-5 months for R4M/A to appear on shelves which is far beyond my patience limit...:-) since my Canon SLR system is getting sold these days leaving me "naked" in my photo passion (aside of my LF 4x5 setup which isn't very convenient for anything but particular photo sessions)....
    Besides, not sure yet how the new R4 line differs from the R3 (aside of added frame lines for wide focal lenghts)..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin