Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,695   Online: 797

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexz View Post
    Besides, not sure yet how the new R4 line differs from the R3 (aside of added frame lines for wide focal lenghts)..
    As far as I can see, it is the same apart from the fact that the viewfinder has 0.52x magnification and the frames go from 21 to 50 mm (previously, no rangefinder camera has had frames for wider than 28 mm).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Contax G2 is still supported by Kyocera and will be supported for another 9 years.
    Af is very fast and accurate, lenses are fantastic. It is a lot more convenient for taking pictures of moving objects (people, animals, cars.....) than MF cameras. There is no sample to sample variation in lens/body quality. The system is really inexpensive...
    I have a complete system and truly enjoy it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yesterday I subscribed to Reid reviews (hoping 33$ are spend well for the early subscription to his reviews helping to make wise choices stepping into not well known by me rangefinder world), checked his comparative review of 50mm standard M-mount lenses comprizing Leica 50mm/1.4 (AFAIK), ZM Zeiss Planar 50/2 and Nokton 50mm/1.5. Both went head-to-head with no distinctive winner and at least according to his comprehensive analysis (which sadly, did not contain flare resistance test) chosing particular one out of these three gets down more to particular personal brand preferences and probably loyality.
    In light of these, Nokton seems to be a wise choice...(unless I'll be convinced flare resistance of Zeiss 50mm/2 takes it big time flare-wise)...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yesterday I subscribed to Reid reviews (hoping 33$ are spend well for the early subscription to his reviews helping to make wise choices stepping into not well known by me rangefinder world), checked his comparative review of 50mm standard M-mount lenses comprizing Leica 50mm/1.4 (AFAIK), ZM Zeiss Planar 50/2 and Nokton 50mm/1.5. Both went head-to-head with no distinctive winner and at least according to his comprehensive analysis (which sadly, did not contain flare resistance test) chosing particular one out of these three gets down more to particular personal brand preferences and probably loyality.
    In light of these, Nokton seems to be a wise choice...(unless I'll be convinced flare resistance of Zeiss 50mm/2 takes it big time flare-wise)...
    Alexz, to avoid flare, it would be advisable to use an efficient lens shade with any of these 50mm lenses (and with other lenses as well) .
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sbelyaev View Post
    Contax G2 is still supported by Kyocera and will be supported for another 9 years.
    Af is very fast and accurate, lenses are fantastic. It is a lot more convenient for taking pictures of moving objects (people, animals, cars.....) than MF cameras. There is no sample to sample variation in lens/body quality. The system is really inexpensive...
    I have a complete system and truly enjoy it.
    Xmm, this is really interesting..
    I just back from a short strool to our local used photo gear shops checking what can be played with raggefinder-wise, nothing has been found, but to my surprise figured a used (Mint) G1 with 45mm Planar. Had a nice play with one, the camera feels good (albeit quite small viewfinder - a bit unusual one after professional SLR experience and getting used to LF 4x5 GG), but BOY, what a noisy focusing ! Reminded me the days of my Minolta AF experience at the end of 90s, though G1 may be even a bit more noisy..high-pitched noise is very noticeable, to the level approaching to unacceptable after getting used to silent Canon EOS AF.
    The AF of G1 although isn't sluggish at all, but the decision delay is noticeable (from AF engaged to motor starting to work) in patterns on which both Minolta and Canon would focus instantly. What bugged me most is the fact that there is no focusing ring on lenses so that even in manual focusing it is necessary to employ motor so noise is still there...
    I'm willing to believe G2 is considerably better in noise level and AF performance , but no real manual focusing and focusing motor noise that cannot be avoided even in manual focusing doesn't inspire much confidence ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    Alexz, to avoid flare, it would be advisable to use an efficient lens shade with any of these 50mm lenses (and with other lenses as well) .
    Sure Tom, hood is always aimed on all of my lenses when shooting, still yet there are many situations where lens flare-resistance counts...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sure Tom, hood is always aimed on all of my lenses when shooting, still yet there are many situations where lens flare-resistance counts...
    Coaing and Multi Coating the Lens can help to control/reduce flare, but a properly designed lens hood is still very jmportant in dealing with flare prone situations - as is a camera body that was specifically designed to reduce/control flare. The modern Fuji and Mamiya MF rangefinder cameras are good examples of in-camera flare suppression - and their optics are multi-coated as well.
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 11-27-2006 at 05:12 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format

What about a wider/faster combo?

Like you, I am considering this camera too, as well as the R4A.
    I am thinking of a wider lens combination.
    I am thinking of a 25 and 35 mm combo.
    Is there a good 25mm that is faster than f/4?
    Thanks!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    is there a 45mm lens?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I'm learning about Voigtlander lens lineup, the closest to 45mm is 40mm or 50mm Noktons (or Zeiss ZM Planar 50mm/2).

R4A according to CameraQuest will only appear somewhen in April 2007 which takes another 5 months to wait...surely not for me. Besides, I "virtually" hooked to 1:1 finder and the new R4A will apparently have smaller magnification (something like 0.7x..)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin