Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,067   Online: 1121

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: nikon F2AS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a really really beat-up F2AS when I lived in NYC about 10 years ago that I ended up selling for about $600 - so it wouldn't surprise me SO much..! I took the money and bought a mint F3/T, which I DID sort of prefer because it seemed a bit less 'fiddly'

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As others have noted, if it's in pristine condition then it is a "collector's item".

It is likely headed to a fate of being shrink-wrapped in plastic and stored in a climate-controlled vault located in a well-to-do section of Tokyo!

This was the case with the "mint" Nikon RFs and I guess the frenzy has now started with the SLRs.

Actually not a good sign since it means the collector's are betting on the end of the film era and want a "mint" specimen as a "museum piece".

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mendales View Post
    Sover Wong, who works in the UK, does incredibly good work on F2s--the only camera he will work on.
    Second that - he does a very good job. He can also repair metered prisms, replace gears and batteries in the F2 motordrives and do various modifications. Here is his site, in case someone needs it: http://www.geocities.com/sover_wong/...r_Service.html
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Would you believe that I found a Nikon F2 AS brand new in a local camera store. Price? $600.00 What a steal for such beauty.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by scripscan View Post
    Would you believe that I found a Nikon F2 AS brand new in a local camera store. Price? $600.00 What a steal for such beauty.....
    Cool I paid $550 for mine brand new in 1977. But then the money was worth a lot more now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl K View Post
    ...can't tell if you are six f/stops off or only 1/2 stop off. That problem was corrected in the Nikon's next meter version, which is much more difficult to find, the Nikon F2Sb, which has a series of LED's (I think there were five) to indicate how far from correct exposure you are.

where did that come from?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl K View Post
    The F2AS is one of the most desirable Nikons. If you can live with an F2A (which is functionally very similar, save for non-AI metering), you can save a lot of money.

This is not correct. Both the Nikon F2A and the Nikon F2AS use AI-Nikkors for wide-open metering. Both have auto-aperture indexing. Both require stop-down metering with non-AI lenses. The difference is that the F2AS has the silicon-diode metering system, which is far more sensitive in low light, and uses LED's in the finder. The F2A uses the older and less responsive CdS cells with a match-needle in the finder. The problem with the F2AS is that you can be only 1/2 stop off from the correct exposure and the finder lights up only one of the over or under red lights. You can't tell if you are six f/stops off or only 1/2 stop off. That problem was corrected in the Nikon's next meter version, which is much more difficult to find, the Nikon F2Sb, which has a series of LED's (I think there were five) to indicate how far from correct exposure you are. The F2Sb is also slightly smaller than the F2S. BTW, both the F2S and the F2Sb are difficult to use in bright sunshine because the LED's are hard to see. On the other hand, they are a pleasure to use in very low light.
    The F2SB was a year older than the F2AS and is identical to the F2AS as far as the LED readout is concerned. The F2SB was for pre-AI lenses so it has the coupling as well as the aperture scale built in to the viewfinder rather using ADR as in the F2AS. The F2S which was earlier version that has only 2 LED.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The F2S meter readout is an LED version of the F3 meter readout. Shutter speeds, however are analog, as they are on any other DP series F2 finder. The SB and the AS versions have the FM2 style meter readout. "+0-"

The user condition F2AS bodies are fairly cheap. Sold my backup F2AS for $215 shipped. BGN grade with some minor brassing, a couple small dings, etc.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn, FT2
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/2 K, 50/1.4 AI, 55/3.5 Micro PC, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 105/2.5 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    A third endorsement for Sover Wong - did my F2 last year - good as new.

Shooter
    35mm
    Sover Wong is "the F2 man"!

Did my F2, very nicely, too. Heartily recommended.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin