Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,193   Online: 1019

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nikon F2AS

Shooter
    Multi Format

nikon F2AS

Several times I saw on e-bay Nikon F2as “NEW”. And pictures shows it is like just came out of the factory. I would like to get one F2 (still thinking) but somehow confuse me why it is around twice expensive as F3, and is it really possible that someone got F2 a long ago and never took it out of the box. Even if it is a case how come that lover of F2 now put it on e-bay? Just would not like that someone fool me.
    For anyone here got F2 in “new” condition?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Maybe because the F2 became a collector`s piece?

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F2 was the last of the purely mechanical Nikon F line. With starting with the F3 you got a shutter reliant on a battery (though it does stay deadly accurate, time-wise - mine is still essentially spot-one after many years of professional PJ use, but not too pretty), an aperture priority auto exposure capability and the meter built into the body rather than the prism. (amongst other things...)

In this world of (almost disposable) cameras that are paper weights without a battery, the F2 stands as a fine example of the (dare I say) golden age of mechanical, professional SLRs. Good examples will be priced accordingly...

I will be keeping mine, don't use it everyday, but it's there when I need it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The F2 is also older than the F3, so the odds of one being in new condition are a lot smaller. That doesn't help.

The F2AS is one of the most desirable Nikons. If you can live with an F2A (which is functionally very similar, save for non-AI metering), you can save a lot of money.

Personally, unless you shoot in severe cold, I think the F3HP is a better user camera. I love my F3HP. My FM2n does well enough in place of an F2AS.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

F2

Daniel,

Some people who were just getting into photography in the seventies and used Nikons were infected by the F2 cameras in all their various variants and cannot be cured so they just have to use an F2 when shooting 35mm film and really cannot shoot 35 format without one.

In the rare instance that one of these people looses a camera (usually misplaced due to mental incapacity) or worse has a camera malfunction they are forced to look for a replacement! And since the cameras are no longer made and quite old well the whole supply and demand thing happens and the prices go way up.

If you too are one of the infected people well then you have my simpathy!

PS, Let me know if you ever need batteries for F2 motor drive?

What ever it takes...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GoGo View Post
    !

PS, Let me know if you ever need batteries for F2 motor drive?
    Now I remember why I sold my MD2/MB1! Darn thing needs 10 AA's. And this was before those recycled batteries they sell these days.

I'd rather carry my Hassy these days if I want to hurt my shoulder.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps that F2as picture was an official Nikon photo and not a photo of the actual camera? I would ask for a photo that would show some evidence of actual time such as a newspaper or the like together with the camera.
    Speaking about F2, i have an F2 and an F3 and they are not going anywhere but, the shutter is a little slow on the F2 does anyone know who can adjust these and/or what it would cost?

Thanks..
    jan

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon F2AS

The F2AS is a very special camera. Not only is it the last F-series Nikon that is hand-built and which will work at all shutter speeds with dead or no batteries, but it has a meter that will go further into available darkness than any other built into a Nikon--down to 8 seconds at F1.4. The meter also uses silicon blue cells for measurement, which makes it fast and without the CdS memory problems of meters built into earlier Nikons. Also, it uses diodes to show how close the settings on the camera are to the meter's measurement, which makes it easier to use in low-light conditions than the match-needle F2A. Along with the F2A, and unlike earlier F2s, it will meter with AI and AIS (including AF) lenses at full aperture. It is a beautiful camera to use, and, since it is the last hand-made F-series Nikon (it was made only from 1977 to 1980), it is the rarest, which would give it value even if it were not the superb picture-taking instrument that it is.
    Best, Richard

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The F2AS is one of the most desirable Nikons. If you can live with an F2A (which is functionally very similar, save for non-AI metering), you can save a lot of money.

This is not correct. Both the Nikon F2A and the Nikon F2AS use AI-Nikkors for wide-open metering. Both have auto-aperture indexing. Both require stop-down metering with non-AI lenses. The difference is that the F2AS has the silicon-diode metering system, which is far more sensitive in low light, and uses LED's in the finder. The F2A uses the older and less responsive CdS cells with a match-needle in the finder. The problem with the F2AS is that you can be only 1/2 stop off from the correct exposure and the finder lights up only one of the over or under red lights. You can't tell if you are six f/stops off or only 1/2 stop off. That problem was corrected in the Nikon's next meter version, which is much more difficult to find, the Nikon F2Sb, which has a series of LED's (I think there were five) to indicate how far from correct exposure you are. The F2Sb is also slightly smaller than the F2S. BTW, both the F2S and the F2Sb are difficult to use in bright sunshine because the LED's are hard to see. On the other hand, they are a pleasure to use in very low light.

Shooter
    35mm

F2 repair

Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    Perhaps that F2as picture was an official Nikon photo and not a photo of the actual camera? I would ask for a photo that would show some evidence of actual time such as a newspaper or the like together with the camera.
    Speaking about F2, i have an F2 and an F3 and they are not going anywhere but, the shutter is a little slow on the F2 does anyone know who can adjust these and/or what it would cost?

Thanks..
    jan
    Sover Wong, who works in the UK, does incredibly good work on F2s--the only camera he will work on. He will not only adjust your shutter but refoam your camera and perform any other repairs needed to restore it to like-new operation. His website will give you a good idea of his services and charges.
    Hope this helps, Richard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin