Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,329   Online: 979

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OM2n Problem

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

OM2n Problem

OK so I got my OM2n in the post this morning, it looked a bit grubby so I gave it the once over with the polish and good as new!

The only problem as far as I can find it the film advance lever, it doesn't return on its own, well it didn't but after constantly using it its starting to go back very slowly, my guess is that there is friction somewhere stopping it from springing back, I'm guessing it need cleaning? So does anybody know how I get the lever off? Also is it a good idea to spay WD40 into the inside of a camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No WD40! The advance lever on most 35mm cameras are held on by a screw with the two holes on its flat top meant to be removed with a small spanner wrench. I doubt taking that off will get you anywhere as the problem should be in the gear train under the top cover. Removing that can be opening a can of worms! Best to take it in for a good cleaning by a reputable repair service, which should last you quite a long time with an average amatuers use before needing another. Sounds like some grease inside has hardened with age and needs replacing with a modern equivalent.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Don't spray it with anything!

That's not really a do-it-yourself fix. As Gary said, the problem is most likely old grease in the geartrain deep in the guts under the rewind lever. Send it to John at Camtech for an overhaul, since it probably also needs the prism foam removed and the other foam replaced. He specializes in Olympus OM repairs. It will be money well spent and your camera will be good to go for years. Almost all of my 35mm stuff is shot with Olympus OM-1n's and OM-2n's. One of my OM-2n's was my very first SLR, I've used it for 24 years now. I send all of my OM equipment to John and have never had anything but stellar service. http://www.zuiko.com/

Bruce

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The gears feel fine, remember its when it springs back I get the problem, its ratcheted so going back it's disjointed from the gears like if you back pedal on a bike, right? TBH Sending it for a professional repair would cost more than the cameras worth, the reason why I suggested WD40 is because that stuff seems to be good at anything + it dries and leaves a protective layer so I wouldn't need to worry about it melting on a hot day.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Its actually springing back quite quickly now, and no I haven't sprayed anything on it, I prolly wouldn't spray WD40 into the camera, just by the lever, but it seems to be working now, I have always wanted a proper OM, The screen seems to look a lot better, I'm guessing thats down to the increased coverage, and is it me or is the focusing screen lighter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got quite a few OM1 and OM2n cameras (don't ask). The foam replacement is quite easy and you can get a kit for a few pounds that will be enough to replace the foam on several cameras (see http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ype=osi_widget ). Delivery from the USA is around 3-4 days!

Lovely cameras that give superb results.
    So many drummers, so little time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The prismfoam must be replaced none the less if it has not been done by the preowner (he would certainly have mentioned it if he had). Otherwise it will destroy the prism by the time. I strongly suggest to have it CLA'd. Whatever you paid for it, the OM2n is worth it.

Ulrich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AJ, I had my OM-1n MD serviced by these people. Mine also had a slow returning film advance lever, which got worse as the weather got colder. They did a great job and also converted the camera to take an SR44 cell instead of the old PX625. All in it cost about £65 not including postage.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    How do I get the battery cover off?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use a coin (1p or 2p) and turn it anti-clockwise. There's a pdf OM manual here.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin