Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,940   Online: 1052

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Hotton View Post
    The Nikon 43-86 lens was used with the Nikon FTN in the U.S. Air Force photolabs from 1971 until at least 1975, for making 35mm slides on E-3 Ektachrome. No one liked it very much! Images from a Argus C-3 look much nicer as I recall.

Sam H.
    I too have very unhappy memories of the 43-86, the later zooms are really much better, even the entry level 35-70 of the early 80s was an improvement. If you need to use 35mm use your primes or buy a more recent lens, even a Sigma or Tamon will beat the 43-86.

Shooter
    35mm
    go here and click on lens , this is one of the best site for finding out which are good and bad .

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

Hope it helps

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh well, guess I won't be selling the two I have in the "Classifieds".

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello: I have one and it is my least used lens. It will not offend a spouse or girlfriend when used for portraiture.

yours
    Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too am not overly fond of zoom lenses, much better of with a prime, especially when the range is so short.
    I have an older 35-105 which performs well and has a useful range at least, but there is still the problem of that slow maximum aperture.
    I also have one of those 43-86's and certainly won't be able to sell it now. Paper weight anyone?

Shooter
    35mm
    It was very popular because of the focal length and size, It doesn't have a good reputation though the later ones are supposed to be better. I think you would be better served by some of the suggestions already made.
    Kevin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Hotton View Post
    The Nikon 43-86 lens was used with the Nikon FTN in the U.S. Air Force photolabs from 1971 until at least 1975, for making 35mm slides on E-3 Ektachrome. No one liked it very much! Images from a Argus C-3 look much nicer as I recall.

Sam H.
    Interesting... I don't recall any of these in the A.F. labs I worked in during that era.

In any case, as lots of folks have already stated, this lens never had a stellar reputation. Instead you may want to consider the 35 - 105 which was more or less its replacement. Though, the last time I checked the prices were far dearer than the 43-86 (for good reason).
    The 35 - 105 is still reasonably compact, and the later ones (max f 2.8 I believe) are reasonably fast. I have 3.5 version and of all my Nikors it spends the most time on the camera.

Barry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Interesting... I don't recall any of these in the A.F. labs I worked in during that era.

Barry
    Shaw Air Force Base near Sumter South Carolina was one of the labs that used the 43-86 lens. Were you a 236x1 or a 233x1 AFSC in the 1970s? Where were you stationed / or "Worked in during that era"?

Sam H.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jolefler View Post
    That's what I expected to hear, to be frank. Maybe I should stumble around with a Speed Gr./Symmar & take one shot for every dozen I would have with a 35.
    If you want a cheap but good lens, buy a Tamron Adaptall 2 lens plus a Nikon mount. Great quality, very cheap on e-bay since apparently no one wants them (probably because they haven't heard of them!).

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Please Nippon Kagaku don't rehash the 43-86 zoom, because at the time they were current I worked in a camera store and for every five we sold, the customers seemed to bring seven back !
    Ben

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin