Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,773   Posts: 1,516,591   Online: 1071

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Zeiss Ikon Contessa, and it is a great camera. I am lucky in that my dad bought it new. It has a 45mm f/2.8 tessar lens. the meter still works correctly. It takes wonderful pictures, sure teaches you the basics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Budding View Post
    My favorite is the Contax IIa black dial. Take your time and find a nice one. As for service - Henry Scherer is very good, but his wait list is about 2 years. WW Umbach is also very good - he serviced a Contaflex that I used to own.
    Pardon the late response. I spoke with Mr. Umbach a few minutes ago. He told me that he'd retired as of the first of this year (2007) and no longer works on cameras.

Shooter
    35mm

Which Zeiss Camera?

If you think you might be interested in a rangefinder I would suggest that you try another RF camera first. Greg Weber at webercamera.com should be able to set you up with a serviced Konica Auto S2 or S1.6 for a fair price. If after using it for a while you think you like RF cameras then look for a Contax. You should be able to get Ken Ruth at Photography On Bald Mountain to work on a Contax RF. Lenses for the Zeiss Contarex SLR camera are indeed very expensive and difficult to service. You can have some fun with a fully overhauled Contaflex SLR and a few spare lenses. A later model Contaflex is recommended. A Contaflex which isn't overhauled will be all gummed up and no fun at all. The older Zeiss folding and box type cameras are nice to look at but might require a lot of work to be usable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a restored Contax IIa (Henry Scherer) that works perfectly. Shutter speeds are accurate to 1/10th of a stop. And the 1950's Zeiss glass really is superb. The wides in particular. And the 50/1.5 Sonnar has a wonderful signature.

Great cameras if you can get one that is properly serviced. just be aware that many have been butchered by bad technicians and amateurs over the years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin