Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,955   Online: 1137

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

The Winter Transition - or "Wow, I love my F3!"

With the leaves all gone and the "grey time" having arrived in Copake, this weekend I made the annual transition to shooting B&W.

The F5 has been temporarily "retired" (with a brief scheduled return on Xmas Day to shoot some of that new Porta) and the F3 has been dusted off and loaded with some B&W.

Now it's back to manual focus and feeling like I'm really "involved" in making the picture.

Don't know why I favor the F5 and AF for color and the F3 and MF for B&W, I just do.

Does anyone else have similar "split personalities"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I don't own any AF SLRs but my F3 is one of my very few "go to cameras". It never disappoints - the camera is the perfect machine-human interface for me and wow, what a viewfinder!
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my commercial/editorial days my 2 F3's were my workhorses, Still are when the need arises. I love them and never even considered going to a 5. In nearly 20 years of hard service they never let me down once.

Bill

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Me too

Have an F5 and love it for color as well but keep the F3 loaded with B&W. Thought it just my odd pattern. Also have two TLR's and one has B&W and one color, etc. The F3 is my favorite for B&W and what I tend to pick up to try to create something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My son took my F3hp to France last year and is hanging onto it. When I ask about it he says "It's in my bedroom". It's a cameras camera, solid and a joy to use. I bought it for a biomed photography program I took. I had to get the 55 MicroNikkor lens for it. Purchased new and never regretted it. Hope to have it back but then he seems to have an attachment to it.

Curt

I love it even more with the "sports" finder--the large lumbering finder that is very vertical and meant to view the screen from even farther away than the HP finder. It makes it larger and heavier, but for me, I find it might larger and brighter and easier for my glasses.

Its amazing how many accessories they have for the thing. I can't stop buyiing them because I just love this camera and its handling, especially with an MD-3. I just found a brand new drive and its amazing with the F3.

Also found something for $50 (perfect condition) called a "fire rate converter" that esentially puts some intermediate steps in between "single" and "blast away."

I love my F3. I just hope the LCD doesn't go. anytime soon.

What's even better is occasionally taking out my F2 without winder ( I prefer the F3 with winder and the F2 without). I love the "kerlunk" sound the shutter mirror makes. Man, I really feel like I am "making a photo" with that thing.

I loved the F3 so much I have invested in a set of very fast lenses

105/1.7 (it may be 1.8)
    85/1.4

Those two lenses make wonderful photos with nice blurry background.

{salivating, mindless ranting mode off} gotta sleep
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Can you still get the LCD repaired?

I have an F3 also and it was my first camera! When working as a journalist it was my favorite camera!!!! I think you guys inspired to take it out for a stroll and leave the LF gear at home!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Does anyone else have similar "split personalities"?

Count me in. Anymore for B/W I use (and I'm almost ashamed to say it) a Praktica m42, shooting Fomapan 400 and PanF+. For color I almost always use the Rolleicord III and use Portra NC160.

In the former case, it's because my best 35mm lenses are m42 Mamiya/Sekors -- a 28 f2.8, a 50 f2 and a 135 f2.8. If I get a manual focus Nikon body to go with the Nikor 105 f2.5 AIS I use on the digit*l, I might retire my Praktica. Maybe.

As far as Portra and the Rollei go, there's just something about the way that glass and that film work together to give me those skintones for portraits. I gave up trying to get that from digit*al a long time ago.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey A. Steinberg View Post
    I love the "kerlunk" sound the shutter mirror makes. Man, I really feel like I am "making a photo" with that thing.
    I think you might have hit it right on the head -- when I shoot a manual focus 35mm, it seems so much more a grounded, organic process; I focus and meter and hit the trigger. The mirror goes up exposing the film.

I guess all that automated filmwinding whizbang matrixmetering LCDs and blinkinglights etc kind of get between the photo and my mind's eye.

Shooter
    35mm
    I too suffer from this split personality thing. I tend to use faster film with my AF cameras, slower film with my manual focus cameras. I recently started using slide film, and for some odd reason, it just feels better when I shoot it with my F2A or my F.

My F3HP is my "in between", all around, reliable camera. I load it with just about anything and it never dissapoints. It is very well balanced with the MD4, great to know that it is powered with readily available AA batteries. I haven't used my F3HP in over two weeks. I think I will load it with whatever film or slide film I find in my fridge and go shhoting tomorrow!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin