Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,646   Posts: 1,481,271   Online: 759

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Rosey, and for that matter, Ole and others, there's nothing much wrong with you but you ARE confused about what your hobby is. It isn't photography, it is accumulating photographic equipment. Actually using the stuff is incidental.

Thinking of which, how can you go a-shootin' with 35 mm cameras in more than one mount system? Back-breaking, isn't it?

Cheers,

Dan
    If I hike with LF I also take along a Rolleicord for shots of fleeting subjects/light where the LF is too slow. I also take an Olympus XA for color "I was there" snapshots, and to justify buying a like-new XA with flash when I already had a couple of point-and-shoots. But I agree, taking more than one mount of 35mm is silly. That's why I think he needs to acquire more formats. To cut down on silliness . . .

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Thinking of which, how can you go a-shootin' with 35 mm cameras in more than one mount system?
    I don't know, I've never tried.

Either I go a-shooting with Leica thread mount, or I go a-shooting something a lot bigger and just happen to have an old folding 35mm camera in my pocket. Or maybe a folding MF camera. And a spare LF system in the car. And most of the big suitcase full of lenses stays there too - I only bring six or seven with me in the "field pack"...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having read all this, I've got to say I feel much better for knowing there are folks who have this much worse than I do. OK, I'll concede I may have bought something I'd forgotten I already had, but it was probably a bargain anyway.

Now I just need someone to tell me they have more than one fridge for film ................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Black View Post

Now I just need someone to tell me they have more than one fridge for film ................
    . . . if only I had the room . . .

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I have a fridge and a deep freezer.
    If you're not taking your camera...there's no reason to travel. --APUG member bgilwee

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Clarification

I thank all who have participated in this thread which, I suspect, affects a hefty proportion of us on this site. Some GAS sufferers may still be in the (equipment) closet. Nice to know I'm not alone.

To those who think I am missing some Nikon classics, that is not by happenstance. I have many more Nikons in my stash, but just mentioned the first few that came to mind of which I have at least a pair. In my haste to mention my doubles, I neglected to mention a pair of the N90s, N2000, the N2020, the N6006, and the Nikkormats (a mint FS is one favorite piece).

I do not own an F3, F4, F5, or several of the older classics (tanks). Those, in my opinion, were working photojournalists' gear that had to withstand the rigors of the daily grind. I don't require that sort of equipment as a hobbyist. When I was photo director of a mid-size daily, I saw to it that the staff got the best we could find at the time.

To those who might think I don't actually use much of this stuff, think again. While I don't run through as much as a working pro did when film was in its heyday, when I go to a family dinner, I'm good for at least three rolls. Christmas parties call for much more. Each one-week vacation results in a thick, separate album of my best shots of the time.

And I do shoot an occasional wedding or bar mitzvah or other paying job.

The biggest caveat for me is to arm myself in every case with one or two of the same type of body. I don't usually mix SLR cameras. If I go out for an afternoon in the parks, I may take a Spotmatic and an H3v, both screwmounts. Or a Minolta X570 and XE-5, both MD mounts. Or a gorgeous Canon A1 and a tidy little T-70 in FD mount. Or a Super Program and my favorite Pentax MX, both K mounts. Or two Nikon autofocus bodies. Or a pair of Nikon manual bodies. I can take a couple of my favorite lenses, use B&W and color, or experiment with filters on one of the outfits.

For the paying jobs, I find myself using the gear I am most comfortable with, typically a pair of N90s Nikons or a couple of N8008s models, with the SB-28 strobes and appropriate lenses.

Most of my stuff is for the pure fun and joy of using finely crafted equipment to make pictures that matter to me and my family. And what I grab for a day's shooting depends on nothing more than my mood at the moment.

I do not have Canon AF gear or Olympus 35mm SLR stuff in my collection, but I have a few years left in me, so there's time.

In many cases I also carry one of my four Olympus XA cameras in a pocket. Or an XA2. Or my new favorite P&S, a Pentax UC-1 or Espio Mini (essentially the exact same camera but in black). I have two drawers full of point-and-shoot cameras. I am almost NEVER without at least a P&S camera within easy reach.

When I plan to take some time with my hobby, I also have gotten into the habit of making a quick refresher of the camera manuals to make sure I'm familiar with what I have chosen on that particular day. I remember one time shooting my first roll of the day on a Nikon when, after the 36th frame, I realized I had forgotten how to rewind the darned film on a camera that uses pushbuttons for that task. I had to drive home (not far) for the manual. Now, I either do a quick read-through of each camera manual, or make sure I have one along in the bag of the day.

So, to me, owning so many rigs by so many manufacturers is not especially a hassle. And, not meaning to start a Canon-Nikon-Minolta-Pentax war, I have never found that the top glass of one maker is any better than the top glass of another.

That said, I have recently inherited two apparently brand new Leica rangefinders with lenses that I have yet to use.

It may indeed be many months or longer before I get around to a particular camera, but I do exercise the shutters occasionally, along with the flash units.

So am I JUST a collector of esoteric 35mm gear, which some may think after reading my post? No, I think not. I rather enjoy using what I can. I also enjoy handling and keeping this fine equipment in top shape.

I have thousands of photos in my albums, and thousands more that didn't make the cut, stored in chronological order and dated along with the negatives.

Most of my albums are on coffee tables in my living room where the kids, and now the grandkids, spend time with them whenever they're home.

Funny, too, how the dozens of nieces and nephews who groaned 25 to 30 years or more ago: "Oh good grief! Here's Uncle Ken with his cameras again" now head straight for those albums to show their own children what we all looked like way back then.

There's a certain satisfaction in such actions that I find refreshing and that makes it all worthwhile.

And I smile inwardly that some day, when I am gone, those same family members will likely all want a piece of those memories that will live on in my photos.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Petzi View Post
    I have a fridge and a deep freezer.
    me 2 :rolleyes:
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No, but I have film in more than one fridge. And in more than one freezer, too...

When my s.o. and I moved together some years ago, we both had complete sets of everything. We had room for everything too, so we now have three stoves, three fridges, two freezers and two washing machines... The third set is from an apartment we rented out (we don't do that now, we use it as guest rooms).
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can't spend long..... must get back to ebay, but I have cupboards that no longer are safe to open because of danger from avalanching cameras.
    My wife is still faintly amused.... just.
    Remember..... fight the urge, it doesn't stop GAS but makes you feel better.
    Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rosey, thanks for the clarification about what you normally do. How disillusioning. I had a vision of you as one of those Indian deities with thousands of arms and hands and at least as many eyes and a camera in each hand shooting thousands of pictures at once ...

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin