Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,612   Online: 815

Shooter
    Medium Format

Canon EF lens question

For reasons that are inappropriate to the general atmosphere of APUG, I have had to buy a digi Rebel XTi (required for work). Instead of the tinkertoy 18-55 EF-S kit lens, I opted for the 24-85 EF USM. My 35mm stable today consists of two A-1s, neither one of which gets picked up anymore since the acquisition of the Mamiya RB Pro kit.

I am thinking that it would be a nice addition (likely GAS, but who cares) to have an EOS film body that can use any of the lenses I acquire for the XTi. What is out there in the current "used" market that is full featured and functions well with the EF series of lenses? I have heard that there is some issue on full frame formats toward vignetting. Do I need to start considering the L series lenses in order to do cross purpose?
    Last edited by Pragmatist; 12-13-2006 at 07:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Cheers,

Patrick

When you come to a fork in the road, take it...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Pick what you want. I have an ELAN 7, and I love it. In fact, it will make the rebel feel like a toy.

Shooter
    35mm
    Go for the EOS3! Mmmmmm, eye controlled focus...
    Wesmore Digital
    www.wesmoredigital.ca

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What's the vignetting issue? EF-S mount lenses won't fit on film camera EF mounts. You should stick with EF mount lenses for your purposes. L-lenses are nice but not required for your purpose.

Canon AF bodies range widely, and depending on what you want to do, optimal bodies vary a lot. I have Elan 7E and it's a nice camera, but this is actually a pretty poor choice for what I want to do. Generally speaking, recent EOS bodies using C-MOS AF sensors perform poorly in low light situations, and for those applications you better stick with Multi-BASIS AF sensor bodies. However, if you shoot only in bright lighting, modern bodies may give you faster and better AF performance. I personally find older bodies like 620, 1N, 10, 5, etc. are better since I shoot more in low light situation. There are other factors that you should consider. For example, 10 has no vertical grip you can use. 5 has a dial that is prone to break. 600 series and 10 are prone to shutter problems. Etc., etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recommend the EOS 630.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Elan 7E.

I boughtr my last one for $80 a few months back.

Sweet camera, and much like the better newest Canons.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The best would be a Canon EOS 1V. Built in spot metering and the ability to burn film at around 10 frames per second with the correct power drive booster and battery combo. Pretty sweet camera. Will not work with EFS lenses, only EF and EF L lenses. Built like a brick hitshouse.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin