Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,485   Online: 917

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    David
    Any material after sliding wears out. It is true and with your shoes. Lens is no different. Leica lenses are not exception. In average, after use (focusing) Summicron R50 mm, around 10000 times you can notice wear. Many just do not pay attention (and do not need) so they think no wear.

If you think about the best lenses Nikon produced, Micro 2.8/55 will be around. This Nikkor, Leica 60mm, or Canon, no visible difference on photographs. Even Nikkor is with floating element that rearanges glasses in order to hold performances and at far and at near. I have that lens around 6 years and I am very pleased with. It found its permanent place on one of my F6 Nikon. I just did something bad to that lens so even it works very well I am thinking to get a new one. Even new Zeiss Macro 50 mm F2 is in play I just cannot find what Zeiss could better over Nikkor. Even engraving on Nikkor is so nice that nor Leica nor Zeiss can come even and close.

Nikkor 2.8/55 Micro is a must if you intend to make techically high end photographs from 35 mm. The only problem some reports is that apperture blades gets oil. I think this moment it is due to careless storage, will examine, and if it is up to user I will not think twice to get a new Nikkor before a new Zeiss.
    www.Leica-R.com
    Last edited by Daniel_OB; 12-14-2006 at 10:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi David

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have an elderly AI'd f3.5 version which is ultra sharp and focusses just fine. As I bought it new about 30+ years ago I know its history – and it has worked hard for its living for at least half the intervening years with no sign of wear in the focussing. God knows what sort of grease it has inside, but it works...

Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Kelham View Post
    Hi David

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have an elderly AI'd f3.5 version which is ultra sharp and focusses just fine. As I bought it new about 30+ years ago I know its history – and it has worked hard for its living for at least half the intervening years with no sign of wear in the focussing. God knows what sort of grease it has inside, but it works...

Richard
    Thanks Richard. On reflection, I think the problem is that the original grease was not HMP (high melting point) type, so could overheat on a hot day and change its molecular structure for the worse! An understandable error, since you really wouldn't think that a lens mount could get as hot as a wheel bearing! Just an example of how a technical problem can bite you when you least expect it - in my workshop I have had the same tube of Castrol HMP lithium-based grease SAE 140 for years and have used every time I needed grease (which is not often).

Regards,

David

Images
    Years a go. I purposely purchased one , brand new, with extremely stiff focusing. I was using Forox, Marron and Oxberry cameras at the time which autofocused using a cam. It was a very bad thing if the the lens' focus ring slipped from vibration while shooting or moving the head.
    Today I use the lens for general shooting and it is a pita to turn the ring but at least I know that it won't shift once I get it focused.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    35mm
    I too have this lens, and I would never get rid of it. The focusing ring is a little stiff, but as Flotsam mentioned, that would prevent any shifting. It is one of the sharpest lenses I own...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Confusion Circle View Post
    I too have this lens, and I would never get rid of it. The focusing ring is a little stiff, but as Flotsam mentioned, that would prevent any shifting. It is one of the sharpest lenses I own...
    Stiffness is of course a matter of degree - with my lens the way it was before it went for CLA, the amount of effort necessary to focus it would probably have been enough to fracture the locking pin on the lens mount!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I can tell you, mine is as smooth as silk!

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just to record that this lens came back from Newton Ellis in Liverpool today working great and with just the right amount of stiffness to stop it moving by itself when pointing vertically down. Thanks to all for comments.

Regards,

David

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin