Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,560   Posts: 1,545,258   Online: 803

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the F100 is a great camera. It isn't the quietest camera (nor is it the loudest) but it's not built for silence, it's built for speed of operation. If you want quiet and you want to use your Nikon lenses, get an F3HP.

I have the MB-15 grip with mine. I remove it when I want to travel lightly. Most of the time I keep it on. The camera lasts much longer on the 6 AA batteries the MB-15 requires than it does with four, which is what it normally uses. The vertical shutter release is convenient, too.

I have an F90x as my second AF body but I'm seroiusly thinking of selling it and getting an F5. I think an F5 and an F100 would make a perfect pairing since the user interface is basically identical.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The F100 was my first camera I bought 4 years ago when I took up photography (well, I had a N65 for a month, but I upgraded almost immediately.) I bought it used from KEH. The only problem I have had is I had to have the back sensor pad replaced because it started to fail, and I had to buy a new battery pack (the 4 pack) because the seal separated from the bottom edge. Frankly, I wish it was smaller and quiter like by Bessa R3A, but I still pull it out if I'm going to be in the rain/snow or I need quick autofocus/motordrive or I need TTL flash (I have an SB50). I need to get rid of some gear, but I doubt I will ever sell it as it is just the most versatile piece of equipment I own.

Best,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have two F100-bodies, the oldes one is from 1999 the other from 2002. I have had some issues with the rubber(-skin?) on the handgrip of the oldest camera. The rubber came lose after 3-4 years of use, I have replaced Nikons doublesticking tape with two layers of ordinary thin doublesticking tape and it is still holding after 3 years. Otherwise I love both of my F100s. Its a nice durable camera - that haven't let me down.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have had nothing but success with my F100. I "downgraded" to it from an F5 because I wanted the option of going light and I am happy with the decision.

One thing that does annoy me a little bit, though, is that after experiencing the incredible build of the F5, the add-on vertical grip for the f100 seems rather flimsy. But it's a minor gripe, it doesn't affect me much in reality.

Another minor gripe is that I really would like to have MLU in a camera that I take backpacking. I have found the F100 slap to be very well damped, but still, MLU sure would be nice.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The lack of mirror lock up can supposedly somewhat be compensated for by using the self-timer pre-set (I forget the actual setting) that pauses for about 2 seconds after you press the button before firing the shutter, though I can certainly see where this won't help in some situations.

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Will S View Post
    The lack of mirror lock up can supposedly somewhat be compensated for by using the self-timer pre-set
    The F100 doesn't have true mirror prefire like most Nikon manual bodies. So even on timer the mirror only swings up just before the shutter fires. It does have 1/2 second mirror pre-fire but that is not as useful as true mirror pre-fire or lock up.

-Anupam

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I use a F100 as a backup to my F5 for AF shooting here in New York and as my primary camera for such in Tucson. I think it's a great camera in its own right and a heck of a nice "little brother" to the F5. In fact, because it is "simpler" than the F5 - in some uses I favor it.

I have not had problems with plastic rewind buttons (cannot see how push buttons would break) and if the rear door is plastic - you sure fooled me!

Great camera!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    I use a F100 as a backup to my F5 for AF shooting here in New York and as my primary camera for such in Tucson. I think it's a great camera in its own right and a heck of a nice "little brother" to the F5. In fact, because it is "simpler" than the F5 - in some uses I favor it.

I have not had problems with plastic rewind buttons (cannot see how push buttons would break) and if the rear door is plastic - you sure fooled me!

Great camera!
    Actually it is the film holder in the camera, the little spool that holds the film cartridge in place. When you place the film cartridge in the camera, you have to push up the rewind spool. That rewind spool in the F100 is plastic as opposed to metal found in almost all other F series cameras. The first F100's apparently had weaker plastic spools. Those can be recognized by their triangle shaped ends as opposed to the newer sguare (or flat) plastic edges.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was never able to tolerate the need for batteries in an SLR. I use Nikon F's with eye level finders.

Jerry

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ehparis View Post
    I was never able to tolerate the need for batteries in an SLR. I use Nikon F's with eye level finders.

Jerry
    Oh no - here we go. The "battery thing".

Isn't this OT since the OP asked about the F100 which, by definition, uses batteries?

Please, take the "battery thing" over to the RF forum where they go on and on and on and on about that.....

Originating in the mid-19th century - batteries are, as yet, an unproven technology. It is why I continue to hand-crank my automobile and use a ten mile long extension cord to power my cell phone and iPod while walking around town!

Besides, batteries are BAD - everyone should use candles in a blackout - they're so much safer!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin