Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,414   Posts: 1,596,551   Online: 1141

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

F100 Experiences?

I just purchased an F100 and it feels pretty solid. I did some research prior to purchasing it and read mixed reviews. I plan to keep it no matter what, but I would like to know from other F100 users out there what to watch out for. In other words, what limits can I push this camera to without damaging it, etc.

Several reviews out there indicate that the film rewind mechanism is plastic and will not last long. Apparently newer models have replaced the weaker plastic parts for different plastic parts. There are also reports of the plastic camera back not sealing properly thereby letting dust into the film chamber. Also, the lens mount is supposed to be brass instead of stainless steel, so it might not withstand multiple lens changing for very long.

I have also read that the F100 is sealed well, has great AF capabilities, and is a rugged camera. Again, I plan to keep this F100 and use it regularly. Has anyone had any negative issues with their F100? Is there a certain amount of times you can insert film before the plastic parts give out? Has anyone really had any trouble with the weaker lens mount? Is there anyone out there that has been using an F100 for several years without a problem, loaded hundreds of film cartridges through it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nothing mixed about it in my opinion. It's a magnificient camera. Period. Unless you are a macro nut like me - then you'll miss mirror lock up a bit. As for build quality - I have never even come close to damaging any of my cameras so I probably am not the right person to comment - but looks pretty tough to me.

Enjoy the camera,
    Anupam

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am familiar with the F100 from renting through a few places. As a rental camera, these probably lived a worse off life than with the average photographer. However, at the places I know that rent these still, they are relatively low maintenance durable camera bodies.

What I like about these is that they are smaller and lighter than the F5, though still provide a wide realm of settings and capabilites. I still think an F4 is the ultimate in Nikon bodies, but hard to go wrong with an F100.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Anupam! I do tend to use my equipment a lot and being in a hot, dust filled, humid environment here in Florida equipment tends to deteriorate quicker. Not to mention getting tossed around inside the camera bag, travelling, etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post
    I am familiar with the F100 from renting through a few places. As a rental camera, these probably lived a worse off life than with the average photographer. However, at the places I know that rent these still, they are relatively low maintenance durable camera bodies.

What I like about these is that they are smaller and lighter than the F5, though still provide a wide realm of settings and capabilites. I still think an F4 is the ultimate in Nikon bodies, but hard to go wrong with an F100.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

I am now breathing a sigh of relief! I did not know these cameras were still being rented. Someday I will add an F4 and an F5 to my collection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Add one F2, still the best after all these years!
    The F100 is a fantastic camera, if you can tolerate batteries.

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Eh? While we are about it, add an F3 to that list(and I am sure someone will recommend the F in a minute).

Seriously, the F3 is my dream camera for macro photography. I don't even have a standard finder for it. I use the 6x DW-4 finder with the C and M screens. It couldn't get better than this.

-Anupam

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just sold mine, miss it already. I could only keep one 35mm camera and I love my M6!

Ive used the f100 in rain, mud, etc. It never skipped a beat. The camera is amazing. Don't baby it, use it for what it was designed. Photography in any conditions!

Have fun

Shooter
    35mm
    I have no experience with the F100, but I have rarely heard a bad word about it - if I wasn't smitten with Minolta, an F100 would be top of my shopping list. An awesome camera to be used and enjoyed, I believe.

As it stands though, my heart yearns for a Dynax7.
    *Minolta Maxxum 7 *Minolta Dynax 600si Classic *Minolta Dynax 5 *Minolta X-300
    *Minolta 28-105 RS, Minolta 50/1.7 (AF & MD), Minolta 50/2.8 Macro, Tamron 70-300
    *A passion to capture God's awesome creation

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    I bought a new F100 before I bought Leica equipment and immediately found that I hated its nasty noisy shutter. I've not used it since and I only use my Leica R8 and my M6 now.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin