Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,747   Posts: 1,483,769   Online: 762

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon Micro-NIKKOR-P auto 1:3.5 f=55mm 66143

I just bought this lens, attached to an FM2, on Ebay. As usual, I'm trying to find out about the lens after I buy it rather than be a wimp and do the research ahead of time (it was really the camera I was after). The info I can find confuses me no end. Apparently there were a lot of versions made (some were optimized for copy work it seems) and I'd like to know the particulars of this one.
    Any ideas of where to go to find out, or can someone here give me the lowdown on it?
    Thanks,
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    it's one of the sharpest nikkor macro lens Nikon ever made, period.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I agree with Tom. I usually keep a faster 50mm lens on my Nikon, but tests have shown the 55mm f/3.5 to be sharper. I don't know of any variations in the Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 from about 1964 to 1979 except minor mechanical changes, and the addition of multicoating in 1970. There were a few earlier versions with different names. The redesigned f/2.8 version appeared in 1979. Although designed primarily for macro work, the classic f/3.5 is fine for distant subjects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh sure you lucky braggart, it's about the finest sharpest lens made and you didn't know? I'm glad you got the camera you wanted and it appears that you go one of the best lenses possible to boot. Good going, sometimes good things do happen.

Christmas comes early to you, must have been a very good boy this year!

regards,
    Curt

ps I've got a 55 micro nikkor on an F3hp and it's the cat's meow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually I did know it was supposed to be a reasonable lens, mainly from reading David Bebbington's thread regarding his grease problem. When I started to delve into it later (after I bought it) I found some were optimised for copy work, and according to one guru, they are not AI or AIS lenses - which I don't see how could be true, and it looks like an AI(S) lens to me. Anyway, I just found a good description of the micro Nikkors at this site:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_spec.html

The camera and lens I bought is here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2289&rd=1&rd=1

I didn't really expect to get it and don't know if it was an especially good deal or not, but I'm very happy to have a second mechanical Nikon. If the price I paid (US155) is the going rate, I'm surprised how much 35mm film cameras have dropped in the last few years, even though it's a common topic.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I took a look and that looks like a really nice setup there. Isn't it fun to get such good deals on equipment we still hold in high estimation?

Curt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is indeed! I'm looking forward to getting it (them). Hopefully they'll be waiting at home when I get back from my trip to the very frozen north in a week. I guess I should warn my wife they'll be coming, just in case they show up before I do .

Shooter
    35mm
    here's a shot with one , lens by it self at min focus distance at f 5.6 if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by Tom Hicks; 03-07-2010 at 02:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    From the serial number, it was probably made around ’71 or ’72, and thus not originally AI. The AI conversion was made using factory parts (note the holes in the prong). It is a great lens—I also have one. Great price, too!
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The serial number would point to a date of construction c1970-1, which makes it the same style as mine but a year or so older. From the look of the back end I would imagine it has been officially converted to AI-spec by Nikon themselves – this service was available in the late '70s.

It's a great lens for studio work though I wouldn't use it for landscapes! There's a full (or at least fuller than the one you quoted) description of the various changes in Braczko's The Nikon Handbook. Recommended bedtime reading.

Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin