Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,701   Online: 850

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd send Dean @ Dean's Camera Repair your AX, he'll be honest, and check the camera and tell you if he can/can't repair it, for no charge.

Let me tell you how good Dean is, I bought an absolutely mint(or so I thought) Nikon FM2n from a guy over e-bay, got the camera, and had Dean go over it. Dean being a qualified Nikon technician, checks it with all his instruments, tells me the camera is a great little camera, EXCEPT, that the guy forgot to tell me that he's either swung the camera lensfirst into a door, or dropped it, hitting lens first, because the lens wasn't seating right and presenting a corner soft, and he tells me by exactly how the much the tolerances are off.

Dean takes the camera apart, straigtens out everything, the camera is now truly in mint condition, and this was very cheap, his prices are surprising, which is why he repairs ALL my cameras, TLR's, my Mamiyas, my Contax, my Nikons, everything. His repairs for my Mamiya's are a fraction of what the factory technicians charge.

As previously mentioned, my AX was a conversation piece, until dean brought it back, so I'd contact him.

In terms of what you mentioned about exploring Zeiss glass, you'll get all sorts of opinions, ...............talking about Zeiss glass, tends to get some LeicaLovers all bent out of shape, which is hilarious, because the difference between the two, is like arguing about two very beautiful women, and who looks the best, and the truth being, you're lucky if you got either one.

Years ago, Zeiss was head and shoulders above most, Lieca glass notwithstanding,.............there was much talk about the Zeiss 'glow', some believed they could see, some insisted folks were 'talking' themselves into seeing something that wasn't there, regardless.................20-25yrs ago, to me, there were about the best.

Things changed, everybody else making glass got better, and raised their glass up into roughly the same ballpark as Zeiss glass, not the same as far as I'm concerned, because different lenses have different personalities, but to the point where you could say that the glass from the 'A' players was all good.

The lenses out there from the different lensmakers are so good, that the skill of the photographer using a particular lens will make a bigger difference than whatever the difference is between Zeiss or Leica glass or anything else.

Having said all this, if you invest in Contax, to explore Zeiss glass, I don't think you'll be disappointed
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ..............AND BEFORE anybody gets bent out of shape, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with Nikon glass, great glass!!!
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brewer View Post
    I'd send Dean @ Dean's Camera Repair your AX, he'll be honest, and check the camera and tell you if he can/can't repair it, for no charge.
    This is the only address I find (google):

Dean's Camera Repair
    1055 W Carson St
    Torrance, CA

Do you know if he can be contacted via email?

Thanks,

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brewer View Post
    ..............AND BEFORE anybody gets bent out of shape, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with Nikon glass, great glass!!!
    I was starting to feel neglected! Just kidding! This does bring up another good point though. Nikon has produced many professional grade lenses as well as many consumer oriented lenses. There were outstanding lenses in both categories as well as several overpriced flops. Are there any Zeiss lenses that have proven to be better than others? Also, are there any Zeiss lenses to stay away from?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's Dean's address, I can't find his biz card, and since he's only 20min. from me, I just call him, I'm not sure about an internet presence. He's had somebodies else's AX in the shop, when he worked on mine, so he's worked on several of these cameras, he'll tell you just what's wrong with it, and his repair pricing is very low.

I've had the 35mm F1.4, the 85mm F1.4, 100mm F2, 100mm F2.8 135mm F2 135mm F2, and the 35-135mm zoom in Carl Zeiss.

There are MTF tests all over the internet for these lenses, I consider every one of these lenses great lenses, no dogs. I think the MTF tests can only draw out the limits of performance, if you're shooting on a tripod, using a cable shutter release, and blowing up bigtime.

I give less and less credence to tests as I get older, they don't tell you how the results from using your lens in conjunction with your style, LOOKS, and like sportcars, one might have a bit more acceleration, but the other model you're looking at in comparison, might be the car you'd actually love to drive.

That said, the results I got back from the 35mm F1.4 were simply gorgeous, between the 85mm F1.4.......100mm F2.........100mm F2.8......they all give absolutely beautiful results w/portraiture, the 100mm F2 would be the champ, but I believe saying that to be almost 'splitting hairs'. The 135mm F2, I found myself never using, becuase of it being so close to the 85mm and 100mm length lenses.

Although some other folks my argue w/this, the best overall lens, in terms of having performance, very, very, very, close to the abilities of the prime lenses, and I think the MTF numbers are also bear this out, would be the Carl Zeiss 35-135mm zoom, I just leave this lens on my AX,.........it is a BIG/HEAVY lens, w/a 82mm filter accessory thread, and it doens't have a constant aperture, but my attitude about that is 'so what'.

I'm completely happy with using almost exclusively the 35-135 lens F3.3-4, and now don't have any urge to bother using anything else, I just don't see any difference in the results between this lens and the others.

I believe you can get a 100mm F2.8, for the least amount of money, the 35-135 sold for 2K new, I've seen them go for as low as $575.00, they go up from there, and are worth every penny. I hear the CZ28-85, is dynamite also, but I've never used it.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Jonathan,
    I'll try and phone him next week.
    I made a typo in my initial post, where I said 35mm 1.8 Biogin,I meant to have said 28mm 2.8 Biogin. It is really a 'favorite lens'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker) View Post
    Thanks Jonathan,
    I'll try and phone him next week.
    I made a typo in my initial post, where I said 35mm 1.8 Biogin,I meant to have said 28mm 2.8 Biogin. It is really a 'favorite lens'.
    Bruce, I own a T* 28mm f2.8 Zeiss Distagon lens (MM/AE mount for my Contax RTSIII and other Contax & Yashica SLRs).

I also own a T* 28mm f/2.8 Zeiss Biogon lens (G mount for my Contax G2)

These are both excellent lenses in my experience.

Take a look at http://www.contaxusa.com/lensdetail.asp?parent=123000
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    Bruce, I own a T* 28mm f2.8 Zeiss Distagon lens (MM/AE mount for my Contax RTSIII and other Contax & Yashica SLRs).

I also own a T* 28mm f/2.8 Zeiss Biogon lens (G mount for my Contax G2)

These are both excellent lenses in my experience.

Take a look at http://www.contaxusa.com/lensdetail.asp?parent=123000
    I agree, the T* Biogon 28mm f-2.8 is fantastic. I think of it as old friend who likes to gossip and reveals much more than is apparent to the casual oberver. It has secrets to tell you about. Love it.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have used the RTS, 137MD,167MT and am now using the RX, Aria, S2 and 139Q. I love them all but like any mechanical/electronic gear things break down. The film advance on both the 139Q and S2 went on me and I was able to have them fixed. The mirror box went on my RX and for $200.00 I had it repaired. All three run like a top now. The knobs on my Aria are stiff so I think she is in need of a CLA. TOCAD will repair the later models but they take forever. I found a mom and pop place here in NYC that repaired my 139 Q & RX and who I plan to contact to do a CLA on my Aria. All my cameras where purchased used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "TOCAD will repair the later models but they take forever. I found a mom and pop place here in NYC that repaired my 139 Q & RX and who I plan to contact to do a CLA on my Aria. All my cameras where purchased used."

Vincent,
    Can you tell me the name of the Mom and Pop place in NYC? I'm still waiting (more than two years) to hear from ToCad regarding the AX.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin