Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,713   Online: 804

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Only One Camera and Lens Challenge

This is probably going to sound like a typical "what if" thread, but there is a thought behind it. Like many others in here I have collected way too many cameras, lenses, and photo equipment. In reality, I can only use one camera and lens at a time because I was only born with two hands (one holds the camera or lens while the other snaps the picture).

Yes, buying camera equipment is fun, and we justify it by saying to ourselves (or our spouses) that we "really need" that new lens, or we "have to update" an old camera body, etc.

Here comes the "what if" part:

What if a large sinkhole came and swallowed up your home, office, or car with all of your camera equipment and you were forced to save ONLY ONE camera with one lens and one flash? Which camera would would it be and why?

Many of us will have different answers depending on many factors, including which camera brings in the rent money, which has more sentimental value, etc.

The challenge:

Take that camera/lens/flash combo with you for the next month and only use it for all the images you create. ( I know, some of us shoot weddings, press, advertising, etc. and will not be able to do this, but use your "sole survivor" camera for all your artistic or "fun on the side" stuff.)

The goal behind this challenge is to create an outstanding image by having to use your imagination, problem solving abilities, and photographic knowledge. Just for fun we should all come back to this thread in 30 days and post our best images and relate our experiences using that one camera/lens/flash outfit.

For the next 30 days (excluding the weddings I have to do) I will use only a Nikon F3HP with MD4/Nikkor 35mm 2.0 lens/Vivitar 285HV flash for all my images. Anyone else want to give it a shot? (cute pun intended)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's a pretty easy one for me, with the possible exception of lens choice -

Canham wood field 5x7, probably limit myself to the Fujinon 250 F6.7, no flash. And one film choice too - Fomapan 200.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am actually trying to do this every month with my collection. I take each camera out of the cupboard for the month and shoot some images with it. I also pen a few words and put the results up on my webpage under "classics"
    I am getting a little behind with the silly season and all that but should get Novembers camera up today ( Zenit) I have decided to use an Ensign Selfix 820 for the next one.
    It's a great way to give all the cameras an airing, some of them I haven't even run a film through yet. Talk about too much gear!
    Cheers, Tony

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use either my pentax sp500 with a 35mm 3.5 takumar or a 55mm 1.8 takumar.
    Tri-x in rodinal.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie View Post
    I am actually trying to do this every month with my collection. I take each camera out of the cupboard for the month and shoot some images with it. I also pen a few words and put the results up on my webpage under "classics"
    I am getting a little behind with the silly season and all that but should get Novembers camera up today ( Zenit) I have decided to use an Ensign Selfix 820 for the next one.
    It's a great way to give all the cameras an airing, some of them I haven't even run a film through yet. Talk about too much gear!
    Cheers, Tony

Great web site! Did the Altiflex use 120 roll film? Your images look great with each camera used. Judging by old National Geographic issues I have from the 1930's and 40's, I don't think the images back in the old days looked as good as yours do today even with the same cameras! A prime example of what can be done with one camera and photographic knowledge!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Isn't the fomapan the same as the arista.edu ultra? I have been thinking of using that for 8x10. How are you developing it?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    That's a pretty easy one for me, with the possible exception of lens choice -

Canham wood field 5x7, probably limit myself to the Fujinon 250 F6.7, no flash. And one film choice too - Fomapan 200.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the kind comments, the Altiflex does use 120 film.
    Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One camera? Probably my Mamiya 7 II with either the 80mm or 50mm lens. I'd certainly let my car fall into that sinkhole before my Mamiya!
    J Michael Sullivan
    Editor/Publisher, MAGNAchrom
    www.magnachrom.com

...SOMETIMES I SEE THINGS...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by avandesande View Post
    Isn't the fomapan the same as the arista.edu ultra? I have been thinking of using that for 8x10. How are you developing it?
    Yes, the Fomapan is the same as the Arista.EDU Ultra- which is actually what I'm using. I'm doing it in Pyrocat HD in a Jobo Expert drum, 1:1:100, 11mins @ an indicated 70F on the CPA2's thermostat, and according to my dial thermometer, 75F. I'm not sure which is right, but my results are very consistent and easy to print. I'm souping for pt/pd prints, so you may want to cut the dev time back to about 9mins if you are printing for silver gelatin, if your goal is a grade 2 negative.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    One camera and lens would be the Ebony RW45 and probably Fujinon 180mm f5.6 lens. If the others went I wouldnt be too disappointed, it is hard to actually force myself to use either of the Canons, the Mamiya RB67 and Bronica ETRSi.

The Ebony suits me best, but the Horseman 612 back would be handy as well.

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin