Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,635   Posts: 1,648,234   Online: 1108

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

How is the Pentax Super-Takumar 35mm F3.5?

I'm wondering how is this lens in terms of sharpness, image distortion, contrast. ect.
    Can someone inform me?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Extremely sharp and contrasty, for a single-coated lens (It's the most contrasty single-coated lens I've ever seen). very little distortion. It's weakness is susceptibility to flare due to the single coating, but even there it's quite good for a SC lens.

A superb lens. If flare is a concern, the SMC-Takumar version is extremely flare resistant due to the SMC coatings.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I saw somewhere that is has extemely high resolving power
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Super-Multi-Coated version, and bought it because it has an excellent reputation (even though it's pretty slow for a 35). But it's a fine lens -- very sharp indeed, very low distortion as far as I can tell. And it's quite compact.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice lens, I have that, a Takumar semi automatic version and the Super Multi Coated 35 f2, its nice glass, nice and contrasty.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I'm wondering how is this lens in terms of sharpness, image distortion, contrast. ect.
    Can someone inform me?
    Dear Marko

One of the best of its day -- but of course quite hard to focus, especially on the murky screens of yesteryear. Scale/zone focusing is sometimes a better idea than visual focusing.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Roger, I've not had any problems focusing my ST 35/3.5, even on the wee tiny viewfinder on my K100D digital. It's surprisingly easy to focus for a slow, wide lens.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by mawz View Post
    Roger, I've not had any problems focusing my ST 35/3.5, even on the wee tiny viewfinder on my K100D digital. It's surprisingly easy to focus for a slow, wide lens.

Fair enough -- unless you're used to anything faster. I've just been using a 35/2 Zeiss on a Nikon F and even with the old screens it fairly snaps in and out of focus. Of course f/3.5 also covers up focusing errors with depth of field...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Fair enough -- unless you're used to anything faster. I've just been using a 35/2 Zeiss on a Nikon F and even with the old screens it fairly snaps in and out of focus. Of course f/3.5 also covers up focusing errors with depth of field...

Cheers,

R.
    I Find that a lens (50mm 1.8) on a 350D is brigher at f5.6 that my pentax lens on my Spotmatic.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    Can someone inform me?
    An excellent lens. I have one in near-mint condition and as well as the fine optics (which you asked about) the mechanical actions (which you didn't ask about) are, in my opinion, second to none.

Steve

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin