Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,589   Online: 1103

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Note the reason the F and the first K mount bodies look so similar is they're essentially the same cameras. A K1000 is little more than an F with a K mount (in fact the meters are identical).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I were looking for collectables it would be an F and ES/ES II with a motor drive and 250 exposure back, 50 1.4 35 2.0 and 85 2.0 or is it 1.8?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I heard scary stories about the ES more a case of you want a second camera as a donor for the electronics. I would stick with the F and if you want the collectable angle find a black one if you can.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A working ES/ES II will have value as a collectable, so few working models are still around. And not all Fs or ES take the motor drive, as I recall on the very bottom of the base plate facing the front of the camera is motor in white, only the black were motor models, to ID the motor drive model. The motor was also slow, 2 or 3 FPS with a huge battery pack.

Shooter
    35mm

Spotmatic intro dates

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Spotmatic were released 1964? 63?
    All were Honeywell Penatax in USA; Asahi Pentax elsewhere.
    Spotmatic 1964
    SL 1969
    Spotmatic Motor Drive 1970
    Spotmatic 500 1971
    Spotmatic II 1971
    Spotmatic IIa `1972 (USa only)
    Spotmatic 1000 1974
    Electro Spotmatic (ES in USA) 1972
    Electro Spotmatic II (ESII in USA) 1974
    Spotmatic F 1974

Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    While we're on this subject...... What is the difference between the Spotmatic with only the serial number on the top cover, and the Spotmatic with the SP below the serial number? The SP500 has that logo below the serial number, but does the SP1000 have the full logo, or just the SP?
    —Eric

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I second Roger Hicks on the SV (alias Honeywell Pentax H3V). It's the most usable of the pre-Spotmatic cameras, because it features automatic aperture selection (vs. previous "preset" diaphragm), auto-reset exposure counter, 1/1000s top speed shutter with a single non-rotating speed dial (instead of separate rotating dial for slow speeds) and "modern" speeds markings (1/15, 1/30, 1/60 instead of 1/10 1/25 and 1/50 on older models). As stated by Roger, built quality is superb. I guess the cameras were still individually hand adjusted after assembly, just like Leicas.

The Spotmatic represents a significant drop in built quality, even though this camera has acquired some kind of a cult status, due to the fact it was one of the first cameras with TTL metering.

I don't regard the absence of a lightmeter on my SV as a big drawback, as a modern standalone lightmeter is much more accurate and sensitive than the CdS sensor of the Spotmatic. Anyway, I don't use this camera for rapid action shots. And for those that cannot live without an in-board meter, there is always the add-on speed coupled Pentax-Meter.

Check the great page about early Pentaxes on Frank Mechelhoff's website:

http://www.taunusreiter.de/Cameras/Pentax_main.html

Here are two excerpts about early Pentax "S" series built quality:

"Yet Pentax wasn't a million seller... the finish is superior to the later mass products, level to the quality of the best Nikon und Canon RF cameras of that vintage."

"my cameras... these are PENTAX before the mass production of the sixties, before the SPOTMATIC (1964), when Asahi Optical was a small, dynamic and innovative start-up firm at which cameras were build by hand in relatively small batches. You recognize that on finish... You even hardly recognize their age because they are so similar to the newer ones!"

Cheers,
    Last edited by Abbazz; 01-05-2007 at 08:21 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin