Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,767   Online: 1053

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Nikon 70-210 AFD f4-5.6 question

Should I or shouldn't I?

I have the chance to grab one of these lenses in mint shape for $150. I already own the Nikon non-D version of this lens and routinely see the D version selling on the auction site for two to three times as much as the non-D. It often fetches $250 to $300 or so.

Is there a big difference in the two lenses? Quality? Autofocus speed?

I use the non-D on my N8008s and other cameras that don't take advantage of the D function. However, my N70 and N90s can use the D function, along with the SB-26 and SB-28 strobes.

Given that the D capabilities and claims by Nikon may be just so much bushwah, and setting that aside for now, is the D lens actually any better or more desireable? It seems to have picked up some cult status along the way.

This is not meant to stir debate about the alleged value of the D function, rather just the merits of this particular lens.

Any thoughts by anyone who uses the 70-210 f4-5.6D lens or both versions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to this chart: http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html there are no differences in terms of optical specs, elements, etc. No idea about things like focusing speed etc. I took a look at KEH, and this lens in exc condition there is about $215, so $150 is pretty good in good condition, but my suspicion is that there is not much difference other than the D designation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For the price, you can't go wrong. As for D type vs others, I currently have on hand 15 or so lenses from pre-AI through D type and I am more than happy with all of them for sharpness, contrast, color, etc. The Ds seem to do everything they are asked in terms of metering when I use them on my F5. As far as the autofocus is concerned in the D type, its body dependent. My F5 focuses any D lens 10 times faster than my old N6006 did and it is noticeably faster than the N90.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The only difference is the D circuitry and faster AF gearing. Yes, the D will focus faster than the non-D, but neither is going to be really fast unless you've got an F5 or such.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The D functionality is nice if you do a lot of flash photography, but I don't think it's that big a deal. I have a few non-D lenses and I am not in a big rush to be upgrading any of them.

As to whether it's a good deal, if you are happy with the lens you already have, I don't see a lot of purpose in upgrading. $150 is not a bad price but in these days where people are liquidating old camera gear like crazy, I would expect you could get a better price if you were patient.

Now, if I were going to get another lens in that range, assuming the f/2.8 is out of your price range, I'd try to get the 70-210/4 AF. Constant aperture, tangibly more useful than what you have, and similar money.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin