Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,951   Online: 937

Shooter
    Medium Format

Nikon 24-120mm f3.5-5.6 D -???????

Bought one of these five years ago to shoot a wedding reception. It worked fine for that - all flash, indoors, 10-20 foot range, SB-28 on an F5. Since then, I've tried to use it in other applications - b&W landscape, street shooting etc. - and have been generally disappointed with the sharpness. Is there a trick - certain f stop - where it works available light or is it just a dog like the old 43-86?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nyoung View Post
    Bought one of these five years ago to shoot a wedding reception. It worked fine for that - all flash, indoors, 10-20 foot range, SB-28 on an F5. Since then, I've tried to use it in other applications - b&W landscape, street shooting etc. - and have been generally disappointed with the sharpness. Is there a trick - certain f stop - where it works available light or is it just a dog like the old 43-86?
    It sounds like a dog. I think that kind of a convenient zoom lens is good at its widest or a mid-range somewhere with the F stops no greater than F5.6. Or if you know what perspective you want, like 24mm or 28mm, get a prime lens just for that.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've got one of these lenses and you could cut yourself it's so sharp. Very impressive zoom.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    works best at f8 -f16. so so lens.

tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From all I've read (and what you see here is good evidence supporting it), this is a very variable-quality lens. Some samples are outstanding. Some suck. Some are in between.

I have the 24-85/3.5-4.5 G (AF-S) and am very happy with it, if you're looking for an alternative. It's faster, but has a shorter zoom range.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have the Nikon 24-120mm f3.5-5.6 D, and the 28-200, and they both are soft. Real dogs!
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just found this thread so I can tell you my experiences with this lens. I traded my first one for the new Vr version and the first one I received was appaling. I sent it straight back to Nikon and duly received a new one.
    This one is fine, just don't use it at full aperture! Needs to be at F8 or smaller for best results, which are really good BTW. Also excellent is the flare control which is outstanding for a lens of this complexity.
    Seems to be a case of try before you buy with this lens, Nikon's QC seems to be slipping somewhat.
    All said and done, this is the perfect lens for wedding photography. Just keep a good prime for those wide aperture photos.
    Tony

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The not so wide and not so long AF 28-105mm D, is a much better optic in every department, the levels of distortion and softness the 24-120 presents are unacceptable IMHO.

Cheers

André

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin