Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,334   Posts: 1,537,507   Online: 1069

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikkor 20mm f2.8 Woes

Well, for the third time since purchasing this lens (about 18 months ago), I am again faced with the stuck aperture issue.

Twice, under warranty, the lens was sent down to the El Segundo repair facility and twice it came back cleaned - only to last about 6 months before the aperture again sticks in the wide open position.

So, it looks like it needs to make another trip for another servicing - this time at my cost.

Has anyone else experienced repeating problems with this len's aperture blades? I've tried the 'store it vertically' trick, but apparently it made no difference in my case.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I assume you're referring to the AF-D lens? I have the 20mm f/2.8D and have not had any problems whatsoever in 5+ years, but it's been a while since I've used it. I store it vertically, not intentionally, that's just the way it happens to sit in my camera bag.

If you've had this much trouble, perhaps you have a bad sample? I can't imagine that three trips to the shop in 18 months is par for the course.

Good luck, maybe the third time's the charm...
    "Photograph more, worry less"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Robert.

Yes, I have the AF-D variant. From what I can gather from info found online, it seems that it has something to do with the lubricant that is applied to the blades. I guess in some samples, the lubricant seeps into places it shouldn't and thickens.

Oh well, at least it only cost me a handful of frames on my latest roll. I've been using the 35/f2 in many situations where I used to rely on the 20/f2.8.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ccbob: Aren't Nikon USA Lens warranties 5 years? I know they are here in Canada. I can't see why you'd be paying for the service, especially with 2 prior failures.

I'd be complaining strongly to Nikon about this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may be right, I need to pull out the warranty paperwork. I was under the impression it was only a year - but I may be thinking of another product.

Thanks!
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mawz View Post
    ccbob: Aren't Nikon USA Lens warranties 5 years? I know they are here in Canada. I can't see why you'd be paying for the service, especially with 2 prior failures.

I'd be complaining strongly to Nikon about this.

Well, I dug out the warranty and you are correct, mawz. Nikon lists it as 1 year warranty + 4 years extended service contract.

This will take the sting out of my wallet, but probably won't lesson the disappointment in the reliability of this lens.

Thanks for the info.

Bob
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had this problem with an AF 28mm nikkor f2.8. Sent it back a number of times only to have the aperture gum up after a few months. I could no longer trust it so I gave it away, with a fair warning to the new owner. One of a number of issues that soured me on Nikon gear. Good luck with your lens, hope it gets resolved properly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    I had this problem with an AF 28mm nikkor f2.8. Sent it back a number of times only to have the aperture gum up after a few months. I could no longer trust it so I gave it away, with a fair warning to the new owner. One of a number of issues that soured me on Nikon gear. Good luck with your lens, hope it gets resolved properly.
    This is kinda what I'm afraid of. So far almost every six months or so, I seem to be having the same problem. Sad part is that I really do like this lens, but it looks like I may have to start giving some thought to replacing it with another ultra-wide.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ccbob View Post
    This is kinda what I'm afraid of. So far almost every six months or so, I seem to be having the same problem. Sad part is that I really do like this lens, but it looks like I may have to start giving some thought to replacing it with another ultra-wide.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Not meaning to sound goofy (that's another matter for another time ) if the lens is out of warrantee, how about just sending it to a competent repair guy to use another lube other than the ones that the Nikon robots put into it? There must lots of other lubes that will work very well. Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Not meaning to sound goofy (that's another matter for another time ) if the lens is out of warrantee, how about just sending it to a competent repair guy to use another lube other than the ones that the Nikon robots put into it? There must lots of other lubes that will work very well. Cheers!
    This is a valid approach for the future. But I believe for now that it is still covered under the extended warranty - so I'll let Nikon keep trying as long as it's free.
    Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin