Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,667   Online: 1091

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Konica made a point shoot called the OFF ROAD, 28mm lens in a rain proof body, I have one that I carry in foul weather (not often in Arizona) but came in real handy when I last traveled to Alaska. No manual override.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is another vote for the Ricoh GR1.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Another vote for the Olympus Stylus Epic. Excellent 35mm f2.8 lens. It also has a pretty nice spot meter option and decent flash.

As already mentioned, it would mean living with DX coding and autofocus.

I scored a refurb on ebay (with factory warranty) for about $10 last year.

I've also owned the Olympus XA and loved using it until my eyesight started giving me problems. It's rangefinder seemed pretty dim to me, but I'm used to Leica M's. Horrible flash interface, if that's an issue for you.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    XA4 has a 28mm lens may be more expensive than XA. but it is compact and does not need a case.
    I second Noel on the Olympus XA4. You can't go wrong with any of the XA series cameras (except for the ugly duckling XA1): they are well built, easy to use, very small and highly pocketable cameras, yet they deliver wonderfully sharp pictures.

Of course, for an all-purpose camera, the XA is nicer with its 35mm lens, coupled rangefinder and aperture priority AE (and yes, speeds are displayed in the viewfinder). But if you want a wider lens, the XA4 is hard to beat. Zone focusing is not a problem with a 28mm lens and the program AE works very well. The 28mm lens is a gem. It's even better than the 35mm lens on the XA, and it focuses down to 0.3m.

Unfortunately, while there are tons of original XAs selling for cheap, the XA4 is quite a rare animal. Even worse, legions of Lomomaniacs and other Holgazoids are driving the prices up, because they consider it to be fashionable. Nevertheless, if you are not in a hurry, you should be able to find one for around $70.

Cheers,

Sebastien

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin