Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,502   Online: 981

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Matt, I shoot a lot of low light work and the 85mm 1.8 lives almost permanently on my 35mm.

jbj

Shooter
    Large Format
    Not sure if you are still in the market for 85 mm lens, but KEH has the 85 1.4 AIS bargain rated in stock again. I purchased mine from them same rating...gorgeous lens @ 1/3 the cost. I think when I was looking to purchase I checked daily there for about 2 months before it came in stock.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the Nikkor 1.8 AF-D lens and I've taken my best pictures with that lens. It's sharp with good contrast and worth the money I paid for it. I doubt there would be significant improvement over the Nikkor 1.4 AF-D unless your work is very critical.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi all

Just take out an old issue of Color Foto a german mag!
    They rate the AF D f1,8 85mm Nikon higher with 85,8 then the
    AF D f1,4 85mm get only 81,5 but they booth get an extraordinary
    They do this test with an MTF machine wich costs as much as a middle large house!
    Now which one is the sharper and better lens?
    I have the 1,8 its lighter and sharper, but if anyone needs the 1,4 then he has to buy it!
    Happy day, Armin Seeholzer
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnArs View Post
    Hi all

Just take out an old issue of Color Foto a german mag!
    They rate the AF D f1,8 85mm Nikon higher with 85,8 then the
    AF D f1,4 85mm get only 81,5 but they booth get an extraordinary
    They do this test with an MTF machine wich costs as much as a middle large house!
    Now which one is the sharper and better lens?
    I have the 1,8 its lighter and sharper, but if anyone needs the 1,4 then he has to buy it!
    Happy day, Armin Seeholzer
    I think Bjørn Rørslett would disagree and depending on only one rewiev would not be vice. Though I find my 85 f/1.4 incredibly good and feel its superiour to the f/1,8's I have seen work from it really doesn't matter since the f/1.8 is a good lens and much cheaper. I would think money is better spend on the f/1.8 for generel use. Unless you want the out of focus look and that bit of extra sharpness of the f/1.4 or shoot a lot at f/1.4 to f/4 you probably wont notice the difference. Just look at Nicoles pics, do you think they lack anything in imagequality, I don't
    Cheers
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went for the f.1.4 and never regretted it. I was worried that it is larger than the f1.8 but it has a lovely balance to it - a pleasure to use, and great to use at widest aperture. I've never tried the f1.8 but know people who are very happy with it. Either lens, I don't think you'll go wrong!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Considering the latest low end Nikon D**gitals can't autofocus with either of these lenses odds are prices on used will drop. Worse I wonder how long Nikon will sell either.

Not sure if that means you should run out and get one now or wait.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nick, now you done it....gone and given away my secret....I am waiting quietly for the D40 and now D40x shooters to dump the D lenses so I can gobble them up at firesale prices.
    Luke

To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage.

Georgia O'Keefe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder how much longer the higher priced models autofocus. That's when the D lenses will go on sale -)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nick, you don't want to put an 85 on a D40. They don't handle too well with all that glass on the front.

yes, I tried my 85/1.8 K on a D40. It's a very odd feeling setup. Much prefer running the 85on my FA or Nikkormat FTn.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin