Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,836   Online: 806

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not really the point I was trying to make.

Right now none of the Nikon primes and some of the zooms won't autofocus with the D40 or D40x. I'm guessing when they replace the D80 it won't either.

My fear is Nikon will just drop all these lenses. They won't announce it they'll just use up the warehouse stocks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Perhaps we'll see an 85mm AF-S lens sometime soon. Unless Nikon stops making primes and concentrates on VR zoom lenses . . .

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    Considering the latest low end Nikon D**gitals can't autofocus with either of these lenses odds are prices on used will drop. Worse I wonder how long Nikon will sell either.

Not sure if that means you should run out and get one now or wait.
    Well, people who would buy D40 would probably not buy a prime lens - ever. It is certainly disconcering that Nikon is on a way towards AF-S everything, but ... DX sensor only (tele)zoom lens in focal length ranges where the DX limit really is much more concerning. Say a new 85mm f/1.8 AF-S VR would be fine for most Nikon users (with a minority losing AF and many not getting VR), but a 85mm f/1.8 that had a DX sized image circle would be bad.

In this regard the new 105mm f/2.8 micro is a good example and the 55-200 zoom a very bad one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But sooner or later they'll decide to drop the autofocus bit from the more expensive bodies.

I also wonder how big is the market for primes and who are buying them?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    But sooner or later they'll decide to drop the autofocus bit from the more expensive bodies.

I also wonder how big is the market for primes and who are buying them?
    Yes, having the ability to mechanicaly focus lens will be moving towards being present in higher and higher end bodies, just like the ability to meter with non-cpu lens has been. However given how slow that has been and then nikon still makes some non-cpu manual lenses it is going to be a very long process until only special bodies will have mechanical autofocus and even more, until non-af-s lens will be phased out.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin