Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,046   Online: 767

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian Grant wrote "Telephoto lenses are quite easy to design and build, and most have good optical quality ... "

Ian, are you sure? I ask because modern teles are so much better than old ones. The old ones had relatively bad distortion, poor resolution, and, often, severe chromatic aberration. Back in the days when the lens being discussed was young, Modern Photography's lens tests reported resolution and contrast from wide open to stopped down and gave the results verbal grades, e.g., excellent, acceptable, ... Grade for grade, they asked less of teles and other long lenses than they did of normal lenses. And the smaller the format the more they asked of lenses. An excellent for 6x6 would have been "fair" for S8.

Ian also wrote "At the time the objectivity of many magazine reviews was extremely suspect and highly misleading. A lens brand which got amazing reviews "Hoya" was in fact so poor quality the company had to re-invent their brand under a different name." This is more hogwash. Modern Photography's tests were safe to act on, Popular Photography's also, Petersen's absolutely not. What was wrong with MP and PP is that they never published tests of lenses that didn't meet the minimum standards. BJP was absolutely trustworthy. Its not fair to expect you to have taken our photography magazines in the '70s, but surely you could have found copies of BJP.

Rosey, where you involved in instigating the 1964 -- I think that was the year -- riot over the sorority girl who was jailed for jaywalking? No one in her sorority liked her enough to go bail ... I met the very girl some time later, I wouldn't have bailed her out either.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flash19901 View Post
    And did Rosey ever meet Woody? I'm dyin'. Go BUCKEYES. At least we beat Michigan. That's all that REALLY counts.
    Yep! I sure did meet him. Stood next to him (made sure to stay out of his way) often on the sidelines. Interviewed him too. And you at least have your priorities straight. The Michigan game is THE game that counts. GO BUCKS!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Covering my very first riot...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Rosey, were you involved in instigating the 1964 -- I think that was the year -- riot over the sorority girl who was jailed for jaywalking? No one in her sorority liked her enough to go bail ... I met the very girl some time later, I wouldn't have bailed her out either.
    Wow! You sure bring back some fond memories there! I covered that entire jaywalking riot with my trusty Pentax H3v. Looking back, the whole incident was caused by one of the most blatant examples of irresponsible journalism I can remember.

A local AM radio station in Columbus reported the ticketing of the black girl for jaywalking while her companion was not ticketed. All morning, the announcers said that a very large demonstration in support of the black girl (read that anti-police) would take place at 16th and High at exactly 2:30 p.m., if I recall.

At 2:15 p.m., I climbed the large billboard in front of Long's Book Store (or maybe it was the Student Book Exchange) at that intersection. There were a few students there. Ten minutes later, thousands of students were yelling, blocking traffic, causing mayhem.

I, of course, was safely perched above it all, with plenty of film in my photo bag to record events.

Well before nightfall, bonfires were started, the electric buses were shut off, all through traffic was blocked, police had taken up positions on the outskirts of the area, and some serious vandalism was underway.

I made my way down from the sign, planning to head towards the Lantern (student newspaper) to process and print my stuff. My photos of the riot are still on file in the Lantern morgue, by the way.

Before I left the area, but not until dark, I saw a small gang busy overturning a car, and I snapped the photo just as the car flipped. The flash apparently was a sore point with them, and I never knew a little fat boy like me could run so fast when they stopped their frollicking and turned towards me.

Life as a student photographer certainly was lively in Columbus.
    Last edited by rosey; 01-17-2007 at 09:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course Dan your right, I had only ocassional copies of US photo magazines, usually bought on trips to London, and yes their review of lenses were far better.

In comparison Amateur Photographer's reviews of the time pandered to their advertisers, the lens importers/distributors, the first UK magazine to include good accurate lens tests and review was Camera (formerly Camera User). I don't remember any reviews of budget lenses in the BJP at the time.

If you check back you'll find Hoya lenses launched in the early 70's with a range of fixed and zoom lenses, some were fine, but overall the range suffered from a variety of problems. Hoya ditched the whole lens brand, after all it was supplying most of the glass to other lens manufacturers and couldn't be seen to be making inferior lenses itself.

I bought a Hoya 28mm f2.8 after reading a good review, which was actual accurate, the lens was very sharp, low distortion and multicoated. What the reviewer forgot to say was not every air/glass surface was coated and the lens suffered from flare unless the sun or light source was directly behind you.

You asked about why telephoto lenses are easier to design, mathematically they are simpler, in comparison a wide angle is more complex, particularly for an SLR camera. Companies in the late 60's & early 70's didn't have todays computer power or modern glass types and aspherical elements.

It was Vivitar with their Series 1 lenses who challenged the camera manufacturers with the first high quality 3rd party lenses.

Ian

"At the time the objectivity of many magazine reviews was extremely suspect and highly misleading. A lens brand which got amazing reviews "Hoya" was in fact so poor quality the company had to re-invent their brand under a different name." This is more hogwash. Modern Photography's tests were safe to act on, Popular Photography's also, Petersen's absolutely not. What was wrong with MP and PP is that they never published tests of lenses that didn't meet the minimum standards. BJP was absolutely trustworthy. Its not fair to expect you to have taken our photography magazines in the '70s, but surely you could have found copies of BJP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rosey, our recollections don't agree. The girl in question was white and not very nice. If she'd been nice her sorority sisters would have sprung her instead of letting her spend a night in the tank.

As I said, I met her some time after the riot and was neither impressed nor attracted. IIRC, while I was passing the time with one of my friends in the French department the girl, one of her students, walked into her office and began berating her. Dissastisfied student with poor manners and not much sense.

I vividly remember the stations announcers telling all who would listen to avoid 15th & High at 3 pm on Friday. A riot was forecast, stay away. Irresponsible doesn't half cover them. Police cares and trackless trolleys were burnt ...

15th & High. Long's College Bookstore.

Ian, telephoto lenses look simple but aren't easy to make perform well. We've seen great advances since the mid-'60s in wide angle lenses for all formats; long focal length lenses for all formats, most of them telephotos; and in zoom lenses. All for the reasons you advanced. I tend to use old lenses, but modern long 'uns really are better. If good long lenses were easy to design, they'd not have improved as much since the mid-60s as they have.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Rosey, our recollections don't agree. The girl in question was white and not very nice. If she'd been nice her sorority sisters would have sprung her instead of letting her spend a night in the tank.

As I said, I met her some time after the riot and was neither impressed nor attracted. IIRC, while I was passing the time with one of my friends in the French department the girl, one of her students, walked into her office and began berating her. Dissastisfied student with poor manners and not much sense..
    Dan,

You may be right about the girl at the root of the riot; she never appeared on the scene. However, the very reason that the issue hit home with restless students of the age was not that a girl had gotten a ticket, but that a black girl was allegedly ticketed and her white companion wasn't. Even if it was inaccurate.

That seed of racism by police, whether factual or not, was what was spreading and riling up the students. Coupled with the radio reports that a riot was imminent, it was all they needed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    In comparison Amateur Photographer's reviews of the time pandered to their advertisers, the lens importers/distributors, the first UK magazine to include good accurate lens tests and review was Camera (formerly Camera User). I don't remember any reviews of budget lenses in the BJP at the time.

Ian

Don't forget that the BJP was primarily aimed at pros who would not be interested in budget gear reviews. The few budget lenses I tried (I didn't buy any) were rubbish. Come to that some of the Nikkors weren't so hot either. Indeed some still aren't...

Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin